Wyoming Unit 90-1

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
I am looking for some information regarding antelope hunting in unit 90-1. My brother-in-law and I both put in with 4 points as nonresidents so we should draw this year. I am very excited about this hunt for a number of reasons. First, I have never killed an antelope and I pumped to finally have an opportunity. Second, years ago my grandfather owned a cattle ranch just south of Big Sandy and I used to spend the summers there. I have many great memories of the area.

We are looking forward to having a fun hunt, seeing lots of animals and hopefully (if we are lucky) taking goats in the 70" to 80? range. For me, I am anxious to get back to an area where I spent a lot of time as a young boy. We are both experienced hunters and are willing to work hard and be patient in order to take a decent animal.

If you have hunted unit 90-1 in the past or are generally familiar with the unit, I would appreciate any information that you can provide. Specifically, I would like to know: (1) some general areas to focus on during the hunt; (2) whether we should try to be there for the opener or show up later in the hunt after the crowds have died down; (3) any recommended areas to park a camping trailer and camp; (4) any suggested tips for hunting (e.g, focus on road hunting, get high and glass, etc.) and (5) what size of goats can we expect to see? Also, we are both avid archers. Would you recommend spending any time with our bows?

I would be happy to swap information regarding hunting in Utah. My brother-in-law and I have both spent a lot of time on the Paunsaugunt, Manti and Wasatch units. Thank you for your help and feel free to pm or email me if you would prefer to have this discussion off line.

Good luck in the upcoming draws!

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Just drive around any of the roads that are legal to hunt from and you will see lots of Antelope.The hard part is finding a good one that scores over 70 and they could be any where and good luck to you.

Velvet-

PM sent. Thanks.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Thank you for all of the tips and suggestions. Does anyone have any ideas as far as general areas to focus on during the hunt? I plan on making a couple of scouting trips prior to the hunt but I would certainly welcome any starting points. Also, do you think a .300 Win Mag is too big for antelope? Unless I buy a new rifle prior to the hunt, my current options are the .300 Win Mag, 30-06 or the 22-250.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

That would mean you only have two choices. A 22-250 is not legal in Wyoming for big game.

You are correct bucklover. I just checked the proclamation and it must be .23 or larger to hunt big game in Wyoming. I guess I will break out my .300 and look to reach out a touch a speed goat a long distances.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Sure would be cool if the people that own your G-pa ranch now would let ya hunt it, You should contact them and at lest ask.
GOOD LUCK

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Gator-

I agree. I will definitely ask for permission and see what they say.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Unless they have changed the regulations recently a 22-250 is illegal my girlfriend's brother got cited for it a few years back. Anyways i sent you a PM get back to me if you have any questions.

Well, I finally received confirmation that I drew a Unit 90-1 antelope tag. Thank you to everyone that was kind enough to share some information with me. I will follow up on your emails and pm's now that I know I actually drew the tag. If anyone else has hunted this unit and has any suggestions or tips, I would be extremely grateful for any information you can provide. I will likely make a trip up there in the next couple of weeks to look around and then I will make a final scouting/bowhunting trip in August. Then, I will hit it hard in September and October. I am pumped to have a chance at a nice speed goat!

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Hope the hunt was good, my brother and myself are taking my dad and grandfather on an antelope hunt this year and considering this unit. Would you recommend it for a good hunt for a 78 year old man to kill a decent antelope for all of us.

This thread is 9 yrs old... But the area would be conducive for all ages to hunt. The area is still recovering from 16/17 winter. Numbers are down but there are some decent bucks, just not many.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom