Wyoming Unit 42 Antelope

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
I should draw a Unit 42 antelope tag this year and I am seeking some input from others who have previously hunted the unit. We hunted unit 90-1 last year and had a great time. I know that Unit 42 is probably a step down from Unit 90-1 but what can I expect? There is a lot of private property in Unit 42 but there is also a large walk-in area and a HMA on the western side of the unit.

What can you tell me about the unit? Will I find huntable goats on the HMA and the walk-in area? Do I need to seek/pay for access on private property? What quality of goats will I see? Should I wait a couple weeks after the opener for the crowds to die down? Should I go early and try with my bow?

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

The HMAs get absolutely hammered there...I have hunted there a total of 3 years off and on. There's a section of each in the middle that is off limits and that's where the antelope go after opening morning. I've never hunted an area where the antelope are so spooked, I'd look for private access, one ranch charges 500 an antelope if you want to pay. Those HMAs are relatively small and I believe over 600 people hunt them each season. Hunt hard and a 12 to 13 inch is doable but that is top end on those HMAs, good luck.

30Hart is right . . . Last year there were 650 any antelope tags and 500 doe fawn tags. Most hunters get funneled into the publicly accessible areas. Hunting was OK several years ago. Then one of the magazines listed it as a good area with good trophy potential. The whole season is a rat race and by the end of the season there are very few antelope on the publicly accessible areas.

I hunted it in "08" as my wife and step-son's first hunt. The HMAs total about 16,000 acres but are pounded. We met after I got done on a Colorado archery elk hunt so we didn't even start until 10/1. The animals were spooky on the HMA.

BUT the unit is checkered board, public and private. The bucks in the checker board areas were way less spooky. I saw several 15"+ bucks staring at us from less than 300 yards but I could never tell if we were on public or private. Spend the money to get a gps that you can load a public/private map onto. You'll do well.

My step son missed a 15" buck on the HMA at 300-325 yards several times. We filled 6 of our 8 tags in 3 days. I was tired of cleaning the stinkin ba$tards or we would have filled the other 2 doe tags the next day.

I should be huntin 47 this year, just across the hiway. But my son's girlfriend may come with us and I'll buy her doe/fawn tags, if availible in 47 first, then 42.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom