Wyoming unit 128 mule deer hunt info needed

B

bullnanza

What kind of hunting vehicle work best for this hunt. Are quads[which I hate to hunt with] a must or will a well equiped 4x4 pickup be good enough? I also have a couple of snowmachines, if needed, if it snows enough. I am from out of state so I would appreciate some input on what works best on a normal weather year on this hunt. Bringing the rite toys to the party can make or brake a hunt. Also which blm map cover unit 128? All info would be greatly appreciated.

I hunted it about 10 years ago and all types of transportation were useful including horses. my wife has the tag this year and we'll bring a quad in the back of the 4x4 pickup.

I think a lot of it is how you want to hunt as much as anything, but a pickup will definetly get you into enough places you'll do fine.

Now we have to hope for weather.

Thanks for the info 440. Do you know which blm maps cover the unit? I have a Gannett Peak map but it looks like it takes 2 maps to cover the entire hunt area. It looks like we will be getting some colder weather in the next few days which should get the deer moving.

I have the My Topo unit 128 map, it shows some things well but is poor as far as roads go. I'm not sure which BLM map it takes but I'm going to find out, they list a unit 128 hunting map themselves. you can get a map of the lawyer ranch at the entrance or print one off the internet I'm told, and south of the hiway is pretty easy to figure out. it's all that area north of the the badlands that I'm not clear on.

If you've never hunted there before my best advice is bring a good camera, it seems like everything you see is worth taking a picture of . it's been years since I hunted it and the buck I took was a 202 non typical but even then that was a nice buck for the area, today it sounds like 170 is the goal. just figure it's a fun hunt and not a trophy hunt and you'll have a great time in the some of the best country on earth you can count on that. a nice buck is just a bonus.

I go up there for the doe hunt every year. Snow machines wont be needed. Just a 4x4 pickup and a quad is all ya really need. We just spent a ton of time in that area for sheep, the unit has declined a ton over the passed 7 or so years. Don't pass on a 170 buck if you see one. Good luck and bring home a good one.

bullnanza when are you heading over there? I think we're going to take off in a few days.

I just arrived. My partner wont be here until the 14th though so I am supposed to have a monster located for him in addition to finding one for me so my works cut out for sure. How has everyone done so far? From what I have seen it sure is nice looking country. Not too much snow yet. Are the deer on the move yet or will it take more snow to get them moving? Any hot tips would certainly be welcome.

Came thru there yesterday around 0930 and had a huge 4 pt. standing on the side of the road watching cars go by. 26-27" wide but boxy and high, and great 12" forks on all four. Only drawback was absolutely no brow tines, but he was gorgeous!

Just west of the Tie Hack memorial where the highway starts up the hill on USFS. Would have been legal in there. Haven't seen very many big ones moving down yet, but cold and some more snow will start them soon.

It will get better every day until the end of season. my only concern is going to be hunter pressure if some guys don't tag out earlier in the season.

Forecast says below normal temps and lots of snow next week. they'll be on the move, glassing might be tough though.

It'll be fun reguardless.

.the majority of the deer that I found were in or near the pasture land in the valley. I also spotted 24 big horn sheep in one herd and a dozen elk in another. The biggest buck that I saw was a small 4x4 that was maybe 20 inches wide. With my late start I couldnt expect much. Iwent up into the whisky wildlife area and went up mthe east fork road several miles.It looked great up there but there were few deer and many antelope. where does the east fork road go? Does it dead end or loop around. Also where does the bear creek road go? I bought a forest service map but it covers farther north.

If you can do some nosing around and get on some private it'd be worth the effort and maybe a trespass fee. Fun hunt, but honestly don't expect too much out of it if you're looking for a big buck. You could get lucky but odds are if you're looking to break 170 you'll eat your tag. A good buck could show up anywhere. More than likely right in town or on some private. They know where they're safe. Keep an eye on the reservation boundary and along the river.

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

Is the far north area of the unit that isnt wilderness very productive for deer. I had the rez boundry in mind today, it sure looks good.I didnt see anything worth a tresspass fee today but I agree with you that is a likely place to find a big buck due to the volume of does there. The farm across from the union pass historical marker would probably be the best one to get onto. Does anybody know who owns it, or what farmers will let a guy on for a reasonable price.

I've been told a few local outfitters have most the private worth hunting tied up, not sure if that's true. as a landowner myself I know if they're not fed up with people asking already they will be soon. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee myself , I'd guess asking a few locals what they know would be the best way to check it out.

When I was there you could find deer just about anyplace there were just more in some places. I wouldn't rule anyplace out.

We're going to be in town by the end of the week, if you see a white and tan '11 powerjoke with a blue quad in back say hey.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom