Wyoming Region G Recommendations

H

huntersrwg

So despite all of the doom and gloom news by Eastmans and others about how bad the herd is doing in western Wyoming I have 3 pts and plan on hunting up there this fall. This will be my first time having a tag for Wyoming deer. I have scouted a few areas with a friend years ago and found some great bucks before the season started in 143 but they were in areas fairly close to roads (within 3 miles). When my buddy came back to hunt they were nowhere to be found and the hunting pressure was rediculous! Only turned up small 22-24 inchers. If anyone has any recommendations as to some good areas with good deer densities that are remote enough to get away from the majority of other hunters I would love to hear it. I will be backpacking and I am not opposed to 7-9 miles. Not looking for any special spots just general drainages that hold good some mature deer. Based on maps it looks like the Greys 144 has some of the most remote areas? Thanks in advance for your generous info.

"Not looking for any special spots just general drainages that hold good some mature deer"
A drainage to me is a special spot, sorry

This is where I like to hunt that might hold some potential good deer to check out.
Up the drainage that goes uphill. Take a left at the fork canyon towards the sun. Keep going is a cluster of green tree's, to the right of that creek 90 degree's are acouple of big gray rocks on that ridgeline. Good spot to glass right there. If I draw a tag for G Ill be at that spot.

Huntersrwg,
I understand your question and wish I could be of more help to you. The previous commenters should be ashamed of their comments. I don't believe that is what this site is all about.. Their comments would have been better just kept to themselves. They are on this site for some "purpose" (classifieds to sell something, to read and gain knowledge, and maybe even to ask someone for some help or a favor at some point). Maybe they should think before they speak or laugh at someone else's expense!
Moving on....
I drew a limited entry tag in Utah a few years back and found some wonderful advice and help from hunters whom had hunted the unit before. I did 100% of my pre-scouting and preparation from afar due to their advice and guidance. No one gave me their "honey hole", but they gave me some general hunting information that helped save me tons of time and essentially was the equivalent to hunting the zone for the previous two or three years.
I have very limited info on Region G and wish I had something to share with you. I did hunt the Greys River area two years ago with a guide and would be happy to share with you what info I have if you would like to call me. 707-799-6071
I hope people are a little more helpful and courteous to you in the future as I thought this site was a hunting site for hunters.
Good luck!

Don't forget the eastern side of 145 as there are a few roads and trailheads in there too to get you far back to the border lines between 144 & 145. West side of Salt River Range is good or was the last I heard.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

It does not really matter where you go. There will be hunters almost everywhere. I'd wait and go later in the season, and plan to hunt in the edges of the timber. The bigger deer go nocturnal and head down to the cover after they lose their velvet and the parade of hunters/scouters arrives.

It doesn't take a lot of country to hold a big deer for a few weeks, just a secluded spot with cover, food and water. Anything that's readily visible will get viewed by a lot of people, so find a remote pocket. Remember that David Long has taken some great bucks not far from the road or trailhead. Lots of people head to the most distant place, but ignore some great spots that are not so far away. Sometimes it's just a steep cliff or a small pocket everyone goes by.

Best of luck and sorry you were treated poorly. Lots of people on MM have helped me through the years and many still try to do the same.

I'll be fairly non-specific but will give you an honest answer. Hunt the first three days, and hope for a dumb one moving around before the shooting starts. After that, go home and come back two weeks later.

Go half way up the river and then pick the worst looking canyon you see. Wade across and climb up about an hour before daylight and watch into the North sides of the hillside into the timber. You won't see many deer that way, but you may find some bigger bucks that don't like the pressure. Stay away from the horse trails, as that is where most of the pressure comes from!

Sorry fella's. I wont speak like that again, as I didnt realize Obama has taken enough of everyones money away and now starting on taxing away peoples sence of humor along with it. I thought people still had a sence of humor left.

He asked for a general drainage that holds good deer but didnt want anyones honey hole. I gave him exactly what he was asking for. If anyone can figure out my directions from my above post, they might even find my brass I couldnt find after shooting my buck from last season. And no, thats not a joke if anyone is wondering.

That is some great country but it is a horsemans paradise. U CAN NOT get away from hunters in there anymore. IMO anyway. I have hunted that country several times and it is just tough to find great bucks. They r there but if it was me I think I would look at some outfitter help. Without serious scouting time I think it is a real roll of the dice in that country.

I SHOULD DRAW THIS YEAR AS WELL, THE AREA IS NEW TO ME AND PLAN ON SCOUTING SEVERAL WEEKENDS THIS SUMMER. I AM TARGETING STUFF ON THE MAP THAT IS 3 TO 5 GRID SQUARES OFF THE ROAD. I AM TOTALLY COMMITTED TO THIS HUNT , ALL OUTINGS THIS SUMMER WILL BE IN THIS AREA. I THINK IF I POKE AROUND ENOUGH THIS SUMMER I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND ONE NICE BUCK IN SOME OUT OF THE WAY SPOT OR OVERLOOKED AREA. SHOULD BE A GOOD TIME TRYING :)

I AM A FOOT SOLDIER,

In that country 3-5 grid marks might not make a difference. As stated there are people on horses, and MANY on foot, that get way back off the beaten path. Look for country that isn't conducive to horses. As stated small pockets, hell holes, etc... that people can't take a horse into and wouldn't want to walk into or out of. Some may be off the beaten path, some may be surprisingly close to roads... When your scouting, you will no doubt spend a lot of time glassing. In addition to that, cover some ground checking out the sites that look good for sign. I am absolutely convinced that there are bucks that remain nocturnal year around, not just when the lead starts flying. These are deer that you would need to still hunt into what some would call their core or center area (bedroom basically).

Everyone is a foot soldier, those mountains aren't that big, a good hiker can get to the top and back in a day.
Your living in a midwinter fantasy if you think your going to out hike everyone and find a remote hideout.

Lets see in Thomas Turianos recent book called peaks of greater Yellowstone it says, Mt Fitzpatrick takes 4 to 6 hrs to climb, Rock lake peak 3 to 6 hours, Mt Wagner 2 to 5 hours,Man peak 2 to 5 hours, Virgina peak, 3 to 6 hours, Haystack peak 2 to 4 hours, and Stewart peak 2 to 4 hours. I would add that these estimates are for people in good shape.
That covers most of the high peaks north to south, and gives you an idea of the scale of things in the Salt River range.
It is pretty country so enjoy yourself and don't get too disappointed of you don't find a monster buck.

From my experience in the area,i would hunt the last week of the season,and you will need a good pair of binoculars and a spotting scope as well. You will spend all of youre time glassing, to the point that you will get head aches. There still are some monsters in the Greys, you just have to put in the time, good luck!

PIPER,
Your living in a midwinter fantasy if you think your going to out hike everyone and find a remote hideout. WTF !!!!

THIS FAT BOY IS NOT GOING TO OUT HIKE ANYONE, WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK I SAID 3 TO 5 GRIDS,,,THAT'S EVEN A STRETCH FOR ME

don't get too disappointed of you don't find a monster buck. WTF !!!

NEVER SAID MONSTER BUCK AND TAG SOUP WILL BE JUST FINE !!!

muley204- don't get so upset, I wish more nonresidents would be happy with tag soup.
I just mentioned disappointment because a lot of hunters feel that when the see all the pressure, I know I have.
Since the advice from everyone is always go late, I wonder if late is going to become crowded ?

The risk in going late, and one that will tend to limit some non residents I believe, is the weather. It is a role of the dice to plan a trip around mountain weather. A big snow storm can really take the wind out the sails. Access can be a serious problem with snow and mud. Even hiking in some of that country becomes a serious challenge when wet. Each step can add a pound and a half of bentonite enriched mud to your boot. I do agree though: end of the season for deer, antelope, or elk is your best bet to see more animals, better animals, and less people.

I don't hunt the Grays at all, even though I live in that country. I prefer a bit more solitude and there are places even closer to home. If you are willing to hike some seriously steep country, much of it without the benefits of trails, the west side of the range also has some good deer. There are areas I have never seen a hunter while glassing. That being said, I question my ability to pack a deer out of some of those places and have not hunted many of them either. Hopefully I can get past my knee problems this year and get in shape enough to hit a couple of little basins that seem to see no human activity.

I HAVE THE LUXURY OF LIVING A COUPLE HRS FROM THIS AREA...I WILL HUNT THE FIRST 2 OR 3 DAYS AND THEN GO LATER IF NEEDED...

PIPER, I AM NOT UPSET...JUST A LITTLE PISSY TODAY :) NO HARM

sounds like sept 15 to oct 6 in the north part this year, I forgot the when the oct 1st seasons were recommended to end.

I really appreciate the advise. I plan on living up there for 4-5 days to make it happen and plan on 2 scouting trips to find some new spots in addition to those that I know already. If I have no success finding a few shooters I may consider an outfitter as a last resort but I have never used one before and would definitely prefer not to but for those of us non-ressys that only get to hunt the unit every 2-3 years we would like to make the best of it. I don't expect to find any monsters but a couple i saw 14 years ago would definitely qualify. It will be nice to hunt in a place where a few exist. To be honest anything above 170 I would be happy with though I will be trying to find bigger.
It would not be monstermuleys.com if there was not some drama with every post on this site. I personally am not worried about a little friendly banter back and forth. I think that it is fair to say that all of us at some point have benefited from the advice, pointers, or recommendations of others both from friends and relatives and even strangers online. I have found as with every other aspect of life what goes around comes around. Sometimes it is good to be generous and sometimes it is better to not say anything at all. I took a friend and coworker to one of my honey holes last year to try to get him his first deer and got him 2 good shots but it didn't happen. This year I benefited by having two guys that were hunting with me help me haul out my deer.

If yer considering an outfitter, I'd be making some calls now. Two outfitters I've spoke with in the past month already said they thought they'd be booked up after the draw...

huntersrwg
You are getting some good advice. Im not so sure you will draw with 3pts. the pts creep will be infecting Wyo also.Iv hunted that country many times. It just got to crowded and Im not interested in the pts chase there.However I do believe this forum is for hunters to HELP others so I will tell you about a spot in G where I have taken some good bucks and its not as crowded. I'll send you a pm now

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom