Wyoming Public Access

highfastflyer

Very Active Member
If you have time I found this podcast very interesting. Wyoming leads the nation in landlocked public lands. With 3.1 million Federal acres and 1.1 million state land acres which are landlocked. Of those landlocked acres, more than half are in the checkerboard lands. They discuss corner hopping at length starting around the 40 minute mark. We have essentially 2 million acres of public land in Wyoming landlocked just because you can’t legally step over a corner pin without crossing through the landowners airspace. They finally conclude without resolving anything and taking the weak route of leaving these lands inaccessible. Seems to me sportsmen’s groups should become more aggressive in lobbying legislatures for access to these lands. Merely stepping through someone’s supposed airspace is at best only a artificial method of keeping the lands as a good ole’ boys hunting ground for yourself, and at worst a future potential nightmare for county sheriffs and prosecutors trying to enforce a make believe plane above the corner pin. The new GPS technology, smart phones and radio enhanced gps accuracy seem to invalidate this old fashioned lock out. Thoughts? https://www.trcp.org/2020/01/08/podcast-increasing-public-land-access-west/

In different states I have seen private land owners trade ground to block land together in one deed. This could work in some area's, but obviously it's not an easy fix. I doubt you could make a land owner do this anyway as the laws are.

To my knowledge there isn't a county that will prosecute corner crossing in Wyoming. Call the DA's office of the county you are corner crossing in.

There, you didn't need to listen to Dave or Nephi, you just need to read this post.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom