Wyoming Pronghorn

S

stevenclarkslc

Here is my 2010 Wyoming pronghorn.

I finally drew a buck tag after three years of applying in a good unit near Farson Wyoming. I headed up for opening of the achery season on agust 15 and after a few blown stalks and many miles driven in my subaru and a few broken parts, I was unsuccessfull.
The next trip we went up with 5 tags to fill 3 doe tags and two buck tags. The first night out we made a long stalk on a big group of antelope and my dad missed the only buck in the bunch, kinda funny. At the top of the hill above camp our truck died and we litterally rolled to camp.
In the morning I rode my motorcycle into town to get gas for the truck. On the way in, I also ran out of gas a few miles outside of town. After a little bit of walking and some nice wyoming help I was back on the road with gas for the truck. We filled the tank of the truck and it still would not start. After checking the fuse's and everything else we could, we decided that the fuel pump had gone out. All we could do was have it towed to rock springs and have it fixed. While my dad was taking care of the truck a friend and I went out in search of a doe he could fill his tag with. We found a large group of antelope in a big flat with an old ditch running along the edge of it. We creeped down the ditch for a mile and made it to a perfect spot for a shot. My friend made a perfect shot even though the sun we pointing right in our face. He was pumped to have his first antelope on the ground.
1824img_0338.jpg

The next day we had our truck back and we headed out toward our buck area. We spotted a big near the road and I dropped my dad off to make a stalk on it while I went and searched for another buck. I headed out toward a well to see what kind of water was in the area. I spotted a group of antelope heading away from the water paralleling the small road that I was driving on. I was able to look at the group through my spotting scope and I could tell there was a good buck in the group but the heat waves we so bad I could not tell for sure.
I drove back down the road to the only low spot that I could find to walk down and sneak in on the group of antelope. I had made it a couple of hundred yards and I jumped a huge flock of sage grouse that I thought would have for sure spooked the antelope. I few hundred more yards and I finally caught up with the group. A small buck was staring in my direction so I had to crawl the final 50 yards to get to the tallest piece of sage brush in front of me. I got to where I could not crawl any further and I sat up and spotted the big buck and his does about 350 yards yards away in a small draw. I watched the buck through my scope and I knew he was a good buck. I waited as the group began to walk toward me and out of sight down in the draw. It seemed like I had been waiting forever when the goup reapeared in the bottom of the draw to my right only 150 yards away. I had to wait for them to slowly walk up the draw to get a clear shot at the buck. Now at just 100 yards the buck stopped and I took the perfect prodside shot and the buck dropped in his tracks!
I was pumped to have my first pronghorn buck on the ground and after walking up to him I was even more pumped to see how perfect and beautiful the buck was.
I ran back to the truck and drove back to find my dad who had been unsuccesfull in his stalk but had some good chances. We drove back around on a smaller road that I thought was close to where the buck fell. We parked and started walking toward where I thought the buck was. After wandering around for a half hour I headed back toward the truck to go and reverse my steps from the stalk and just over a small hill from the truck there was my buck. We had parked 80 yards to soon. Live and learn I guess.
A note for first time antelope hunters. You need to have a plan on how your going to get your meat cooled as fast as possible. It was a hot day that I got my buck and
it was everything we could do to get it cooled down as fast as possible. Antelope meat is delicious and im convinced the reason some people dont like it is becasue they dont cool their meat fast enough.

Here is the buck
394img_0343.jpg

Black and White
1611img_0344_2.jpg

Great looking goat. Its really nice when a plan that you have had for several years comes together. Congrats.

nice Buck, nice post, nice pic, steven--
Importance of cooling down the meat in warm weather is key to good eats. I carry a carboy of water to wash off the quarters after I've got them separated in the field, with the hide pulled also, and game bag the portions for the trip out of the hunt spot. G&F might not like it too much for ID purposes, but it makes a big difference in meat quality in heat to do all the work in the field one possibly can. With Lopes, especially.
Oh, don't count out pepper for the flies after one is at the truck with the meat. Works to produce a hard skin faster on the quarters than just air, too.

Rumproast

I had a G&F warden watch me quarter my buck this year, and apparently I took more than required . . . neck, brisket, four legs, backstraps, and tenderloins.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom