Wyoming pronghorn DIY

J

Jacob

I have 2 antelope preference points. I have hunted north east wy with a guide twice and would like to try it myself. I was thinking about area 62, 60 or 57. I am certainly open to other areas. I just have been looking at these units because Eastman's says they're good and have good public land acess. I do have a gazateer and it looks like I could stay at a hotel in Rawlins. I am from Indiana and hunting western public land is really different than my dads farm for whitetails. Please give me any feed back and sugestions.

Thanks

Jacob

A few of those units are really tough to draw, even if you apply in the special draw. Have you checked the draw odds of other areas? There are a lot of areas that have good access, aside from these that Eastman's apparently is steering everyone toward.

Jacob, Yes, those units are probably as good as any in the state for a combination of quality goats and good public access. Obviously thats why the draw odds are much lower than other areas. Wether its Eastman's, Carter's, or whoever thats pretty much common knowledge. However, with your 2 points and if you go with the special draw you'll have as good a chance as anyone. Although I haven't looked recently I'd guess yours odds would be in the 25 % range. Look on the Wyo. Game and Fish site and you can get a pretty good idea of your chances. South Central Wyo is similar to North east except a little more ''desert ''. Its high rolling rocky plains. No problem for a do-it yourself hunt. GOOD LUCK. C.C.

Jacob, Check the new draw odds feature here on Monster Muleys. It will give you the draw info you need in a much better format than the Wyo. game and fish. I just took a quick look and the odds for the units you mentioned aren't as good as I guessed they were. Oh well, might be worth a try anyway. Those are the units I'm holding out for. GOOD LUCK ! C.C.

If i am correct, with 1 point in area 62 i have a 96% draw chance on a special draw. Is this correct? Then with two, i would be in easy.

nochawk is correct! You can never assume from one year to the next who is going to cash in their points and where. My son and I both have 2 points but we have just been buying them for when we really want to hunt. Who knows? Maybe we will try hunting this year, and then again, maybe we won't.
If Eastman's or Huntin' Fool, etc. recommend a unit, you can almost always count on the odds getting significantly worse the next year! The bottom line is it is a crap shoot and if you really want to hunt next year, I would avoid the highly recommended units.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom