Wyoming Mt goat app info help??

schmalts

I see that Goats in WY there is no point system. I am going to apply for the heck of it. is there any of the 2 units that are better than the other for a foot hunter??

schmalts;

I'll give you general information to get you started. Stay to the prarrie areas, not high mountains. The highway 80 corridor from East to West has good amounts of antelope. You will need to check the Wyoming Fish and Game web site for percentage odds on drawing certain hunt areas and check for hunt areas with a high percentage of public land if you do not wish to pay trespass fees. But areas with high amount of public land may have lower percentage of drawing a tag due to high amount of applicants trying to hunt there.
Normally trespass fees for antelope can be had cheaper then for deer or elk if you shop around. You can check with the chamber of commerce in the nearest town to your hunt area and they will give you infro on ranches that allow trespass and sometimes will know the fee charges. You can also call the Game and fish dept. and try to get ahold of the local warden for infromation.

Good luck;
RELH

RELH,
Bob I think he is asking for info on Mountain Goats(Billies) not Antelopes.
Schmalts, is this correct??? There is only two areas to choose from. In 2002 the top Goat taken for the WOA guides was from Bob Barlow's service and that would be hunt 2 I think since he lives right in that area. Dave Segall aka K-Z placed 2nd and he lives in Cody so would guess he hunts 1. Since then don't know unless someone here at MM was at the WOA Banquet since Dec. 2003 The latest idition of their mag is not out yet and it would have the results for 2003. They are always a year behind for some reason.

Brian

There are 2 goat units. The one on the Idaho border is pretty remote while there is quite a bit of wilderness area in the Beartooth unit. Unfortunately if you are a nonresident you need a guide in the Beartooths but I believe there are goats found outside that wilderness area. Draw odds are pretty horrible but you don't have a chance unless you apply! No pref pts are awarded so everyone has the same chance to draw.

Goat odds are terrible, less than 1%. No point system just random draw.

Both units can be hunted by foot, but don't expect it to be easy, its vertical. Sometimes you can spot goats in Unit 2 from the Snake River Canyon Road.

I just picked the unit without wilderness, easy to know which one because the odds are worse!

Good luck, I take that back, we are going for the same tag so bad luck! LOL

DonV

PS email me and I will tell you where to apply for Mt. goat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom