Wyoming Moose

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Anyone hunt moose in units 16 or 35 in the last few years? Trying to make up my mind as to which unit to put in for. This will be a self guided trip the last two weeks of November (11/1 to 11/15). Thanks in advance for any information.

Bill

Those units are a few miles apart! ha

I've hunted the backside of the Tetons a few times for elk or deer in Wyo.

Your other unit has alot of private and a ton of desert type terrain... it is my antelope unit of choice..

If ya change to 23 or 26 touchbase with me.... I have spent alot of time in both of those units.

Robb

Thanks for the reply Robb. Do to work I can not take off in September or October. This leaves me with only a few choices. With 8 points going into this years draw I feel I have a good chance at either unit 16 or 35. Maybe I should just get a point this year and try to scout them this summer.

Bill

If you pick either of those units and hunt late you may want to make sure you have a snow machine, snowshoes, and possibly a helicopter to get your moose out! Snow can get pretty deep and limit access that time of year?

I think you would be somewhat crazy not to just wait another year to draw a tag rather than hunting late? The rut is the most fun time to hunt moose and the bulls are a lot easier to call in and locate. Access during the late season would likely limit the areas you could cover and would be a total nightmare packing out a bull!

Agree on the snow in 16.... if it comes deep and hard... if the moose migrate down it is in Idaho real fast!

I travel over to Flaming Gorge alot and 35 is hardly ever snowbound for long.... but it might be sometimes...

The scary deal about waiting another year would be that we never ever know what they are going to pull next... fees or quota's or what ever...me... I have always said, last year was the year to draw the tag.... always the changes!!

#5 on sheep this year will have it's normal tag allocation but 17 additional hunters from last year because they turned the tags in after the bad fires....

jims is very knowledgeable guy so it is always best to listen and to consider what he advises.

Robb

Are you kidding me. jims spends most of his time talking out his backside.
-
Jimbo, knew you'd appreciate it...

I really don't claim to be an expert at anything but devote a lot of spare time researching and scouting areas. It is pretty hard to figure things out unless you've spent quite a few years in a unit (or spoken to quite a few guys that have)! I definitely wouldn't take the word of one guy's experience from a single hunt because things can change dramatically from year to year! If you talk to several guys with experience hunting a particular unit and hear the same thing you can usually figure out a pattern of what is right and what is hog-wash!

With that said, I had 10 years of data and research before I drew my Wyo moose tag. I spoke to a lot of past hunters, outfitters, and guides as well as sifted through mounds of draw stats, harvest data, etc. Looked in detail at topo maps of potential units...the list goes on! I learned a lot about Wyo moose and different areas. The only sad part about it is I can't do it all over again! The more time and effort you put into a hunt the more you will likely get out of it!

I guess I'm done talking out my backside! Triple B...I'll get even with you!!!

Where DID you hunt, and where WOULD you hunt if you were to have the opportunity again (WY Moose)?

Also, how long is the season? I see theh opening dates in the proclamation - no end dates.

Thanks!

I hunted in moose unit 15.

I liked 15 but I might do 23 or 26 instead now that I have bow buck in the 'G' deer units of those moose units...

I best let jims tell his unit and that pre-historic looking bull moose he bow-harvested!

Robb

Robb,
I put in for unit 23 this year as my stepbrother is getting married in Jackson on Sept. 1st. I don't know if I will draw the tag as I think I have either 5 or 6 pts. If I do, can I pick your brain for info?

I don't know anything about Wyoming in regards to moose, but I do know moose in general fairly well, and I also know that as far as advice about moose goes jims knows them pretty well. Granted I have no clue who he is, but whenever moose issues come up and photography etc occurs, he is RIGHT ON! That being said, GOOD LUCK!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom