Wyoming Moose Unit 26

orion23

Very Active Member
Finally pulled a moose tag in 26. Never been there but scouting is goint to start soon. Before i go, could anyone give me an idea of the road systems / conditions in the unit as far as quality. Ill be coming from Boise ID and am still wondering what to drive over there to scout, my wife's more economic CRV or my Duramax with a quad to buzz the roads. The first trip is basically just to learn the road system and see the country and i dont want to beat up my wife's if the roads are crummy and dont want to spend the diesel $$$ is the roads are great.

Thanks
Travis

If you have your quad registered in Wyom-with the decal and all, ride it around and just tow with the duramax...

I am heading up this week to Wyoming and will spend a day out and about hiking in your #26 moose area...

I will toss ya a pm after I get back of any velvet bulls I may see...

Robb

Robb,
That would be great. Wish i was saying 'ill see you there' but wont quite get there that soon.
Yeah, let me know what you see. Thanks.
Travis

It's been 10 years since I got my 26 moose, but at that time the roads were pretty good except they ate up my tires. I got two flats on my moose hunt because of the sharp rocks in some areas. I got up there in July before my hunt and didn't see much at all because they were all in the trees keeping cool. I don't imagine you are going to see much other than the country this time of year and I would recommend waiting to really do any good scouting. I scouted again in September and saw many more bulls and got a much better idea of where to hunt.
You will have a great time regardless and congratulations on the tag. Curious how many points you had. My son has 8 and he didn't draw.

I had 8 also. cant remember exactly - you can check their website, but i think 25% of the 8 point holders drew. good luck to your son next year, he should be near 100% next year. i would think with 9 pts depending on the point creep should get it. thanks for the info.

sounds like a quad would be best for just learning the roads. im not really looking for critters on the first trip over. thanks for the info.

travis.

No need for the duramax...as long as the weather stays good. Some of the 26 roads get sloppy in the rain. Just check the reports and you should be good. My pops got a nice 40"+ just a few years back in 26. Good luck

Chewyman55,
Thanks for the response. still cant figure out what to bring but this helps the decision.

Do you have any information that you mind sharing on areas to look? Understand if not, but, you can PM me if you like.

Thanks again for the response.

Travis.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom