Wyoming Moose Area 5

D

darrell

Just found out I finally drew a Moose tag for area 5 in Wyoming. I have been told this is one of the better moose units with only thirty bull permits. I would appreciate any advice on what to hold out for quality wise and numbers of bulls one usually sees in the area. Also, who are some of the better guide-outfitters for moose in that area? Any advice on the area much appreciated. How does the area look this year? Thanks.

Darrell

I hunted Wyoming Area 5 for Moose two years ago. Bulls were much harder to find than reportedly a few years earlier. Area 5 has been impacted by wolves. I did kill a decent, but not great, 5.5 year old bull. The best moose outfitter in that area (who I did not use, but wish I had) is Terry Reach. You can find his contact information with the Wyoming Board of Outfitters.

Good luck!

Thanks Toad, I had heard the wolves were taking a toll on the calves. What size bull did you take? Looking for something in the 40-45" class. Will look into guide you suggested. Again,
thanks.

Darrell

You probably wouldn't need a guide unless you are short on time or wanted to hunt the wilderness. I hunted here last year. Email me for more info.

My bull was 38" wide with 5" palms and 14" front points. I did kill him on opening day, after having spent several days scouting without seeing anything better than flapjacks, so I might have been able to find a better bull if I'd hunted longer.

My sense after hunting Area 5 is that some of the older age-class bulls are found on private property, which some of the outfitters have access to. Any bull that is in the habit of standing around the Green River willows on public land is likely to have a few resident hunters sitting on him on opening day.

The above said, my experience was limited to one short hunt, so I don't pretend to be an expert. Other guys may have had entirely different experiences.

Good luck!

You probably wouldn't need a guide unless you are short on time or wanted to hunt the wilderness. I hunted here last year. Email me for more info.
Hellow I also drew unit 5 ,I should have time plan on 3 weeks any info would be great. I plan muzzle load hunting wondering if I should go opening day or go later

Wanting to go guided ? Hunt private in unit 5, with Terry Pollard and Bald Mtn Outfitters.Takes great moose yearly.Hunted with this Outfitter a few years back.Took a GREAT BULL with my bow during rifle season.This Outfitter knows how to hunt Moose in your area.Good Luck,
Bruce & SilverGrand

Wanting to go guided ? Hunt private in unit 5, with Terry Pollard and Bald Mtn Outfitters.Takes great moose yearly.Hunted with this Outfitter a few years back.Took a GREAT BULL with my bow during rifle season.This Outfitter knows how to hunt Moose in your area.Good Luck,
Bruce & SilverGrand
Azbiggame l going to do diy. Thanks for the help did you hunt private or on the forests

I live near Area 5. There won't be any private available to hunt. Plan on being on USFS. Go early, cover country. Come before season starts to find the access points and locate the cows. Hunt your butt off the first couple weeks of season. A SxS would be very helpful for you to cover country. Those bulls will get much harder to find by the middle of October as they go find a spot to recover. Bulls will still be moving around the first part of October.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom