WYOMING HERE WE COME!!!!!!

B

bigwhiteman

My dad, younger brother and I all drew the 3 only non-res antelope tags in the random draw for unit 60-1 and this was the first year that we even put in(but had one below max with points) We only put in for the unit knowing that we had almost no chance of drawing and was hoping to draw our second choice, but to our suprise we pulled our first. This will be my brother's and my first time hunting out of state. My dad has hunted in wyoming before for elk and moose, but it has been 15 years or so. Just wondering what is to be expected on this hunt? I just dont want to go out there and get too excited and shoot the first one I see. Is it worth scoutting? or do we just go out and hunt and hope for the best?
If anybody has success stories or photo's of antelope that they have havested on this unit post them up please. Thanks in advance.

BWM

One of the best if not the best antelope tag in Wyoming. Hold out for a good one. Lots of goats should be a fun hunt.

I just looked on my CD ROM for another member this evening regarding this unit. The whole northern 1/2 is almost completely BLM land and where you will want to spend all your time. The southern half is all checkerboarded land that is just about impossible to hunt legally without receiving private land access permission. That should narrow the territory down quite a bit for you. Good luck, be safe, and shoot a good one!!!

I would not rule out hunting the south end, just stop and ask some of the squatters for permission. there are BIG goats in this unit. and lots of antelope. If you want a booner you would want to scout or get here a few days ahead to try and find one or get lucky. lots of goats. If your looking for a 14 incher you should be tagged ot in an hour.

Most of the private in the south is Union Pacific property.You can hunt virtually 90% of the unit,and could find a booner just about anywhere.Not saying there are dozens of those,just that you never really know where one might be.However,the bulk of the herd will be in the northern half,which is much more remote and farther from any civilization.I work for U.P.,and you have my permission to hunt there(j/k).The RR runs south of I-80 there,and you will not have a problem going just about anywhere you want to.Be ready for bad roads if it rains.You WILL get stuck there if not very cautious.The good thing is they will dry up in about a day.Great unit for big goats.One of the best around,IMO.I can give you more detail if you PM me.

Congrats on a great tag. Most has been addressed already. I hunted this area for elk and seen a couple great goats while hunting. Enjoy a great hunt.

nontypical nailed it. My experience with UP land has been that unless they have some sort of operation going on on the land they couldn't care less if you hunt it. This is just my opinion and experience so take it for what it is worth. Hunted that country alot and you are going to have a great hunt. Please treat the roads and land with respect. This way hopecully the UP's attitude will stay the way it is. Only takes one bad apple to ruin it for everyone. Good luck and have fun.

For the most part,UP allows trespass.Only when you are on the right-of-way road that goes along the tracks will you be in possible jeopardy of getting reported for trespass by a train crew.In this day and age of terrorist crap,the company wants us to be vigilant and report trespassers and suspicious activity on or near the tracks.A large part of us in sw Wyoming hunt ourselves;and those that do not know a hunter when they see one,so usually will not report an obvious hunter.You could get a visit from the sheriff if hunting off the right of way road.But since there is no RR north of I-80 in area 60,that is a non-factor anyway.

This is all good news to me because I was under the impression from talking with others that you should stay away from checkerboarded areas and that's why I made that staement in my post. Thanks for clearing it up guys as it sounds like if it's UP property that is respected by the public that there is a lot more open land in that area than I knew about.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom