Wyoming help for 2014

D

Dearhunter3450

My name is Jeff and I am new to this forum as well as western hunting. I am going to try to draw an antelope tag for area 24 in 2014. I have access to private land for antelope hunting. I was considering applying for a deer tag for region c as well. Was wondering how hard the public access is north west of Gillette? I have ordered multiple maps to study and I have read it is a tough hunt, however I have no first hand knowledge. Was hoping someone could give me some accurate info on the public lands. Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Welcome Jeff! If you draw the antelope tag for 24 and have a ranch set up, you should have a good time and just a tip on that hunt. Don't shoot the first buck you see if the ranch holds a good number of antelope. All of Region C is now for bucks only, while several of the units also have separate doe tags available, but they are only good on private lands. That should tell you the state of the overall situation up in that whole area! There is enough public land in certain areas where you're talking about, but you'll need good maps that you say you already ordered and it's really good to have a Garmin with a chip in it showing land ownership or one that you can load with that information to keep you from trespassing. Be aware you can't camp on state land and in order to hunt any public land it must be able to be accessed legally by a public road or by having permission from a landowner to access it through their private property. Getting a buck is doable, but I wouldn't disagree with the statement you made about it being a tough hunt if you can only hunt public land up there. Good luck and if you have anything else you need answered just come back on this thread and ask away!

Topgun

Thank you very much for the info. The rancher told me that the antelope numbers are down as well but he only allows a few hunters on his property for the season. I think that area is going to be my best bet with no points. I ordered four section maps for the BLM areas and hope to figure out the area a little before taking the drive. The deer situation sounds grim but if I'm spending the time and money to get out there I figure I might as well give it a shot. I was planning on a good hike in then setting up camp so I am glad you mentioned the no camping issue. I'm sure that would have went over well. I was planning on getting as far away from the road as possible to hunt. I will take your advise on the GPS chip. Thanks again for the info. I have no idea about western hunting but definitely want to get my feet wet so to speak.

Thanks

Jeff

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom