Wyoming Elk General area 90,15,21

O

ORhunter

Hey guys I am new to this site. A guy from Ifish told me about monstermulies. I have been reading posts for the last month or so. What a great site. Tons of information and good stories.

A bit about me I am from Corvallis OR. Been bowhunting for over 15 yrs. This will be my first time to WY and my first time out of state for elk. I put in for the general hunt as the second option and paid the extra special tag fee. My plan is to do a 2 week hunt 4 days travel 10 days in the woods. Starting in Western wyoming and then moving to the Madres if we don't get our elk first.... This will be all archery not able to come back for the rifle season.

I have been looking hard at area 90 planning on packing in for 5 days. I will be with one other guy. We will limit our selves to a 5 mile pack in and then would do day hunts from their.

I am not looking for anyones honey holes just some good general info. I will not be able to scout preseason.

Here are a couple of questions for unit 90
1.if you could focus on the west or east side of greys river what would you choose.
2. Would you focus on the north or south end of unit as well in 90?
3. What elevation do the elk typically hang at in mid sept.

4. When does the forest park and greys river heard typically start moving to their wintering grounds?

for unit 15/21 I am looking at the bridger peak area...?

I am happy to exchange any info on OR. I am a big blacktail hunter and hunt both sides of the state for elk.

Anywhere in 90 is likely to be a good bet. What part of the season are you thinking? You will find elk at any elevation in that area. The migration will be well after your hunt is over. I haven't hunted in that area much over the past few years, but most of the locals here do and have good luck. Remember that it will likely be hot early to mid season (and sometimes later as well), so consider timber, north slopes, and water. You may or may not have some snow, depending on the weather and when you are here, but it won't be enough to move the elk around much. The lower temperatures are more likely a benefit than the snow itself except for tracking.

Depending on what part of the month you are coming up, I might be able to narrow a couple of areas down for you. How good of shape will you guys be in?

We will be there on on the 15th of sept. Both of us are in very good shape. I am 33 and wrestled in college and will have been hunting western oregon prior to making it out to Wy. For that unit would you recomend a base camp down by greys river rd. or do you think its a good idea to get in 3-5 miles and hunt from their. One main concern of mine is ATVs. I'd like to find a place where they are restricted or the terrain just does not allow them access. any ideas?

Restricted is a term with little meaning and you will see them where they can be taken. Ie., look at the topos/google earth, etc... and look for barriers that will decrease likelihood of access via ATV. I don't know that remote is always the answer, as elk sometimes hang out in overlooked areas close to the road, but they are more likely to be vocal and active in areas less often hunted. If your in shape to pack a camp in back a few miles and haul elk out, then I would do it.

Totally agree.Thats how it is in OR quite often. In talking with some other folks I was told to try and find some roadless areas and I won't have trouble finding elk. I sent yo a pm on some areas I am looking at.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom