Wyoming Elk Advice

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I'm looking for advice on an area for my Dad and I to apply in. My Dad is 77 and doesn't walk uphill very well at elevation. He is already doing what he can to get in shape this winter.

I do have horses so I can get him "close."

We have max PPs.

He'd be happy with any archery bull. I want a taxidermy bill and it would have to be at least 320" because i have a couple just under that now.

Prefer a unit with a 10/1 rifle opener so we can just transition form archery to rifle.

We've shared some really good elk hunts in the past. Max PPs in Wyoming will probably be our last chance to experience a great elk hunt together and would like to do it sooner than later.

All advice would be appreciated.

I was going to suggest the BigHorns until you mentioned that you prefer a unit with a 10/1 rifle opener to do both hunts back to back as a nonresident and that's probably a real good idea. Maybe you could look into the western units that are good and try to find a resident that would have the time and sign off as a guide to go with you into a wilderness area where what you are thinking about would be possible.

Odds are not good,but units 30,31,32 all open for rifle on Oct 1.They are open for archery for the entire month of Sept.Easy access and hiking for an old man.320 bulls are in all those units.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-11 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]
I have no idea how the hunting is in the units you just mentioned, but on my CD ROM it looks like the se 1/4 of 30 and almost all of units 31 and 32 are public ground. They would also be a good shot to hit off the the I-80 freeway coming from the west coast.

Edit: Just looked at the odds in the reg and special draws for them and what nontypical stated was sure correct. The tags are so few and odds so low that I wouldn't even waste my time looking at those units!!!

24 is a blue chip unit that you should be able to draw with max PPs. I saw some good looking bulls come out of there last year while I was in the area. I made the mistake of putting in for and drawing unit 23 because I didn't think my dad and I could draw 24, but we could have. I still regret the choice. 23 was a bummer. 24 is great looking country, 10-1 opener, good access and does have some good bulls from what I saw. Of course you know a 320 bull in any unit is not easy, but I think you could find one in there if you put in the time and effort. From what I saw I don't think the locals put that much effort into the archery season.

30, 31 and 32 are out of the question. At 77, he may be too old to hunt before we draw.

24? I'll do some research. I believe I applied for that the second or third year of PPs.

Topgun, I plan on hunting the Bighorns after I get rid of these PPs. I've bought my wife, son and step-son PPs for the last 4 years so after i burn these, I'll jump in with them for one of the Big Horn units.

I had a area 68 antelope tag last year I don't know about archery season but I was in 24 when rifle season started and it was pretty crowded with camps,atv's,and hunters. I left 24 after the first day because of the people in the unit and went across the road. 68 antelope is on both sides of 287 and 24 elk isn't.

Any comments of either 122 or 111?

I've gotten off of 62 and 122 the last few years because of wolves BUT I keep hearing good things about 61 and 63/64. 62 is between those 2 so if they're taking good bulls in those units, I don't see why 62 wouldn't be good?

The other reason is I've heard outfitters in 61 have to put up a hot wire around camp to keep bears (big bears) out and away from their stock. I don't really want to deal with big bears in archery season.

This guy was on the west side of 55 last fall.

YellowstoneWY20112011-10-04076-1.jpg

Ouch!!!! With a bow I'm covering some ground, in the other direction.

I carry OC (pepper) spray all day long at work. Does that stuff really work on these bruins?? It sure f&*#s up inmates. And i've built up a tolerance to it.

You could look at unit 16 with max points.There are some private ranch's that offer some reasonable tresspass fees and the terrain is pretty mild.Success rate is pretty high in the unit.

califelkslayer you threw out the question about 111 . I archery hunted that a few years ago and it was a total blast . One thing about 111 is the rough country and with what you said about your dad and walking I'm not sure 111 would be a good choice .

And what about 113???? And why are they havnig a season in that unit this year?

Traditionally 113 has a hunt every 3rd year. They had a hunt in there in 2010. I figured the next hunt would be in 2013 but it's in the regs this year. Anybody know anything about 113??

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom