Wyoming Elk 2016

tracker12

Very Active Member
I have one less than max elk points and am looking for an archery hunt for 2016. Who's used one-less-than-max points, where have you gone, and what kind of experience did you have? PMs welcome." Primarily looking for a Unit with better than average numbers and the ability to do a solo hunt by an older hunter. 300+ is a bonus but not a priority.

1 under max should get you a type 1 tag in 45, it's a waste of points on a type 9 in my opinion. if you had max I wouldn't touch 45 but with 1 under your options are limited.

45 is hard to beat for a DIY hunt for 300 type bulls, or maybe better.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at 45. I will be retired by next season and was hoping for a type I tag so if I didn't tag out during the archery hunt I could return during gun season.

45 has easier terrain, decent access and no bear. makes for an enjoyable hunt for anyone but if you're older or doing it alone it's an even better choice.

If you decide to hunt 45 contact me I've hunted it a couple times and could give you a little info to start on.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I had the tag in 2014 for unit 45. I shot a 310 bull with my bow. My buddy did not get an elk. It was tough hunting. Also, not sure what is meant by no bears, but 2 of the biggest bears I have seen were in that unit.

Another friend had the tag this year. He missed 1 shot, but said it was horrible hunting this year. No rut action, lack of elk, and so on. So who knows, but if you have that many points, might want to be weary of that unit.

>1 under max should get you
>a type 1 tag in
>45, it's a waste of
>points on a type 9
>in my opinion. if you
>had max I wouldn't touch
>45 but with 1 under
>your options are limited.
>
>45 is hard to beat for
>a DIY hunt for 300
>type bulls, or maybe better.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends
What unit would you suggest with 8 points, it could be a guided hunt.

I did mean griz, who cares about black bear.

I haven't been there for about 5 years but anyone who could see out of one eye could kill a branch bull in rifle season. I'm not saying a booner. I can't imagine it's slipped that much in a few years but I'm not saying it hasn't.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

OK, yeah, no grizz, sorry. But yes there are a good number of black bears. Get a tag if you draw. Good luck if you go 45. Have fun. Its a neat area.

We drew the rifle tag this year, and have hunted the unit the last 4 years with the type 9. I spend a lot of time up there and can tell you the unit hasn't slipped one bit. There are 350 plus bulls in the unit and every year we see bulls much bigger than 350. Its a big unit with a lot of hiding spots!

For 264mag.

If you are willing to go guided then you might look at Area 7.
Lots of private land so might not be the best choice for DIY. Expectations would be 300 and up although I think the 350 bull would be an exception.

A one on one guided private land hunt would be less than $6,000.

MTA - PM sent.

>We drew the rifle tag this
>year, and have hunted the
>unit the last 4 years
>with the type 9. I
>spend a lot of time
>up there and can tell
>you the unit hasn't slipped
>one bit. There are 350
>plus bulls in the unit
>and every year we see
>bulls much bigger than 350.
>Its a big unit with
>a lot of hiding spots!
>

Might take a look at 16. They've taken some good bulls during the archery season the past few years as well as several smoker bulls during the rifle season. Terrain varies quite a bit.

If you caught a recent episode of Michael Waddell hunting in the Big Horns, he shot an exceptional bull with his bow. That was taken out of 45 with 7J Outfitters.

You don't need an outfitter in 45 most of the time. if the elk were to hold up in the Scapegoat that would be a problem but I didn't see that and from what folks say it seldom is. if the biggest bull you can get is important enough to you then yes I'd think about an outfitter.

Todd Jones would be who I'd talk to.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I just returned from my 45 type 1 hunt. We have hunted this unit plenty of times during the archery season, and I can honestly say it is a whole different animal during the rifle hunt. There were deer hunters behind every rock. The elk were still there, but the pressure coupled with the weather made most hunting methods worthless. We ended up going into the wilderness above or at treeline and had a much better time. The bulls were still bugling quite a bit even when the sun was out. I killed an average 6 point. I will never again apply for the type 1 tag. the archery hunt is about 300 times better hunting.

I hunt 45 after deer season has closed so I don't have to deal with all the yahoos. I didn't have many hunters to contend with and lots of elk had moved down.

Wait them out and have a great hunt.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I was recently looking at a few outfitters in 45 and I was kind of surprised by there success percentages. I would have thought they would have been higher.

Your first post says your looking for an archery hunt. Have you looked at area 38-type 9. That's my favorite Bighorn area....

Unit 45 hasn't slipped a bit! The elk are there and we were into them most days the first two weeks of September, but the rut was very late and the bulls were very quiet this year. The guy I was helping missed an average bull the second week of the hunt. There are smoker bulls to be had up there, but this year the early season was a bust for the most part and even the area GWs said it was a very weird year and blamed it on the high temperatures. I was south of there in the Horns until just a few days ago and it was still in the 60s during the day, but the last couple nights it was down into the low 20s. A buddy had a bull that was pushing 400" cross the highway a couple miles above Meadowlark Lake that he would have hit if he hadn't braked hard. It was with a small harem the second week of September and not far from where we were camped for the Type 9 tag the guy had. I would hunt the Type 9 tag the first half of September before the Type 1 guys can hunt later in the month even though it's not good for the October rifle season, but from what I hear the unit is a zoo for those later hunts.

I hunted it this year and drew a type 9 with 1 less than max points. I hunted 22 days in Sept. and ate tag soup. I could have taken a 310-320 bull the 2nd day but I was holding out for a bigger one. Had 1 other small 5 point at 4 yards that I also passed on later in the hunt. I did have a shot at a great bull that I missed on the yardage. As others have noted, this year was very warm with minimal rut activity or bugling. The last 3 days were the best relative to bugling and this would have been the year to have the Type 1 tag. An outfitter I talked to on the 20th had not taken any elk at that point. 1 guy with me got a bull but didn't find it for 3 days and lost the meat to a black bear. All in all I was a bit disappointed after waiting 9 years but the weather can't be predicted ahead and I think that was just the way it goes. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom