Wyoming Bighorn Sheep

A

AHawk

I recently spoke to a taxidermist that told me they transplanted sheep from Montana to Wyoming and the average bases size is over 17 inches could this be true.

It cold happen, but I doubt it. A ram's ability to grow horn is a factor of more than genetics. The quality of forrage, minneral content of the soil, and harshness of the winters has a lot to do with it.

Last year sheep were transplanted from the Missouri Breaks, MT to Devils Canyon(north end of Bighorn Mtns.)WY. Several big rams have been taken from the Missouri Breaks in the last few years. There are proposed tags this year(2008) for the Devils Canyon area of WY. The MT. genes haven't kicked in yet but it is an additional area for sheep hunting.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-08 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]There were also some MT sheep transplanted in the Laramie Peak area.

But, anyone that tells you the average base size in MT is 17 inches is full of crap. I think your taxidermist should change occupations to a full time BSer...either that or put the bong down.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom