Wyoming Area 102 Antelope Tag

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14 AT 01:52PM (MST)[p]My brother will be in area 45 (just over the mountain) hunting Elk in Sept. I am going up with him and I would like to chase a speedgoat if possible. This looks like my only real chance to get an OTC rifle tag for that time.

Any opinions on whether this tag would be worth it for a Non-Resident? I have heard it is a lot of private land, might be difficult to hunt.

Any thoughts or info?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14 AT 02:21PM (MST)[p]You heard right and that's the exact reason there are a ton of buck and reduced price doe licenses left for 102. I wouldn't waste money on a buck tag in that unit, but maybe a couple doe tags and hope you can find some on a piece of public ground that is pretty limited in 102 for antelope. Better yet, if you have the time, why not just help your Brother on his elk hunt and see some gorgeous country in case you haven't been there before? I'm heading out next month to help a member on another website on his archery elk hunt in 45 and am really looking forward to getting back out in the BigHorns where I hunt every year.

You might have to do some decent work and get a bit lucky to get around on the public that is there to get a medium sized buck. I think there is enough public to make it interesting, but by no means easy. If you would be happy with a doe, that is way cheaper and should be fun as well and more likely you will have success.

Roy,

Get the landowner list from the region office, call a few of the landowners and see if one has reasonable trespass fees. Some landowners out there (I hear) sometimes just take the voucher if you harvest. My boy and I stopped and asked a rancher one day and he was happy to let us hunt, as long as we didn't shoot his cows or sprinklers! Probably depends if outfitters have bought up all the hunting rights over there. Good luck. 15 days til I go to WY for my speedgoat...and I'm getting excited!

On another note. It sure doesn't look like they are going to sell out anytime soon. You could go out and look around and then decide if you want to spend the money or not.

Thanks for the replies - about what I had figured. We were looking at it wrong anyway, we will be there from Sept. 20 - 27 and the Antelope hunt in that area begins Oct. 1. So, easy decision ;-)!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

Roy, I'll have an extra ice chest if you have too much elk meat.

Eel

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

If it works out that we meet up and we have some meat (fingers crossed!) then you bet, Eel! May turn out to be just some of the mother-in-law meat off the neck, but we'll get you some!

Can't wait - 2 hours left at work today and my mind is GONE. Already in Wyoming!

HOOK 'EM!

How about you bring your shotgun and shoot a few grouse. Plenty of grouse in the big horns and sometimes you can pick a few off right in camp.

grosventrehunter - that actually was a great suggestion. We ran into those buggers all over the place! They sound like a helicopter taking off underneath your feet. I didn't end up taking a shotgun and hunting them, we were locked in on chasing elk and had a great time just doing that.

We even saw some hunters going after them last Monday. Great story on that one. I am posting about it in the Campfire. Check it out there.

Thanks all for the advice! Had a great time in the Cowboy State - it was HOT though!! We were burning up at 10,111 feet near the headwaters of Virginia Creek. Beautiful country though!

HOOK 'EM!

>Roy,
>
>Get the landowner list from the
>region office, call a few
>of the landowners and see
>if one has reasonable trespass
>fees. Some landowners out there
>(I hear) sometimes just take
>the voucher if you harvest.
>My boy and I stopped
>and asked a rancher one
>day and he was happy
>to let us hunt, as
>long as we didn't shoot
>his cows or sprinklers! Probably
>depends if outfitters have bought
>up all the hunting rights
>over there. Good luck. 15
>days til I go to
>WY for my speedgoat...and I'm
>getting excited!

Good info but here is my personal opinion on it. I moved to sherdian for a few years and moved away. My first year I got a antelope tag for 15. Tons of private. I went to the game and fish and got a huge list. Every house I went to landowners were confused to why they were on the list. Out of 30 people I had no luck. I ended up hunting a small chunk of a walk-in-area. My problem was gun hunters blasting mule deer. I was like heck I should get a general tag and get a buck after I seen some smoking bucks. I looked at the regs for the area and the season was closed . I called the game and fish and told them several people are hunting out of season. I hunted that area everyday after work and never seen a game warden out there after I called a few more times......In the end I lucked out on a solid 75-77 inch buck. I wasted my 8 rounds on a pack of coyotes and ran into the big antelope hiking back to the truck.. When I got back to the truck my extra ammo slipped out my back-pack and landed under my truck..... When I spotted the big goat at a 100 yards he just stood around and I couldn't find my ammo. TIS TIS TIS on me. I ended up with a 60 inch buck later on...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom