Wyoming Archery Antelope down

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Got back from my Wyoming Antelope hunt on Saturday. First off I would like to thank a few people who gave me some advise on this hunt, Thanks bgmhiker (Jimmy), bigbuck1002000 (Matt) & grosventrehunter (Byron). Spent Sunday and Monday after work cutting up & packaging the meat from them. Learned a lot about archery hunting these things as I have only rifled hunted them in the past. Weather was all over the board with rain, thunder storms, low 80 degrees to mid 90's, and some major wind. Boy did they get skittish during and after the thunder storms. Tried spot and stalk the first few days. Spent 5 1/2 hours dogging a large buck in the mid 80's to only not get the shot off at the last second. Tried a few decoys on some stalks ( cow, heads-up, and the be the decoy). I think they might work under the right circumstances, but none of them worked for me. I think it needs to be during the rut. I could get closer without any of them. Saw 4 that would score in the mid 80's but could not make any of the stalks work. They all hanged out in areas of very low cover with an abundance of water. Water was everywhere in a lot of the unit. Here are a few I took pictures of.

101dscn1724.jpg

7623dscn1732.jpg

1918dscn1761.jpg

2232dscn1775.jpg

4349dscn1772.jpg

Well, I ended up arrowing this guy at a waterhole with only a day left to hunt. Not as big as a few I was chasing, but I am very happy with him. Looking forward to taking my 11 year old son back there next year to archery hunt a few does.
2423p1010937.jpg

I dunno, that looks like a DARN nice antelope! Congrats, sounds like a blast!

Nice Buck there Bill was wondering if you had gone hunting yet, so guess this answers my thoughts.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Great buck! I'd like to get a goat with a bow but just can't make the trip in August and then again in Oct. Congrats on a trophy buck.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Great lope! Great mass. He looks like a book goat. What did he score? Congrats.

Thanks everyone.

Brian, how is everything? Have not seen you in awhile. Any hunts planned? I have to get my butt in gear and fill my A-zone tags before Harvest starts or I may not get time to get out and hunt.

Huntin100 a quick green score puts it at 80, so once it dries it will not make book. I had fun chasing larger ones, yet I am VERY HAPPY with getting the opportunity to take this one as my first archery antelope.

Bill

Bill, let me know when you will be home and I will stop by. I leave Oct 2nd real early for my NV area 7 deer tag as it opens on the 5th.
Then the mid 3rd week head to COLO for another deer tag to try and fill.
Forrest going to mount that Lope head for you?

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LIK2HNT,

Thanks for posting the pictures and congratulations on an awesome archery buck! He has awesome mass and prongs.

I have a 61 tag as well and will be heading out there in a few weeks. Though I couldn't get out there for the archery season, I am going to bring my bow along with my rifle and hopefully I can find and shoot one as nice as yours. I bought a doe tag as well so it should be a lot of fun. I can't wait.

Anyway, congrats again on a beautiful buck and a successful hunt!

Horniac

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom