Wyoming Antelope Unit 60

H

huntaholic

I finally drew an antelope tag. I just got my maps in the mail and am trying to narrow down an area where I can start looking at. I am going to try to make a trip out to Wyoming before the season to do some scouting.

Sounds like there is some quality antelope in Unit 60, so I will probably hold out for a good one (80 inch mark or above). I am looking for any suggestions of where to start my search during my scouting trip. Thanks in advance.

go down to kinkos and get the map blown up really big. Then take a dart and throw it at the enlarged map.

That is where you need to start.

Wow, congrats. That's a tough tag to draw. The area is huge and remote. Talk to the bio and the warden for the area and get a blm map. You should have plenty of antelope to look and and you can bet there's a few in the class you are looking for there.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-10 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]WyoDeerHunter is right, any place in 60 is great, just some areas are a wee bit better than others, on a sporadic basis. Don't shoot the first one and don't even shoot the 15th one you see, you would be done by 10:00 a.m. opening day. Just glass hard from anywhere in the unit and you will find a great buck. Frankly, no scouting required.
Congrats on an awesome tag and have a blast (take a kid and get him/her hooked too).
WyMo

You might have to give the warden directions on how to get to 60 for some advice. Doubt he's ever been there hahahahhahaha. Same with the biologist.

My favorite spot out there is taking the road that is the western boundary and driving it up to the northern boundary. Hunt that country around there. Plenty of water and plenty of goats.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-10 AT 11:51PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-10 AT 11:37?PM (MST)

Well all the info makes me even more excited. Thank you guys for taking the time out. Not only a great tag but its going to be a great experience with my 7 year old son. We have scouted antelope in Nevada for years together (in the event I finally draw) and now are going to be able to enjoy an actual antelope hunt together in a quality unit. The experience is going to be awesome, I can't wait...looks like another sleepless night.

Thanks again.

I hunted 60 last year with 4 other firends. We drew NR tags as a group. We tagged out in 2 days. There are thousands of antelope in that unit. We werent too picky but all of us managed to shoot bucks over 75". you need to be patient for an 80 incher and know how to field judge them to give yourself a chance. Get a BLM map and cruise the dirt roads. The western part of the unit is where we hunted and saw plenty to pick from. Good spotting scope is recommended as well. We had an awesome time as will you. Let me know if you need further help.

Sounds like I am in for a great hunt. I am going to try and take a trip out there in the middle of August to familiarize myself with the unit. Thank you for the info.

It is a great tag..If your not fairly confident of what your looking at, get studying. Grimmets "size is everything" video is a great start, but ultimately what makes a guy good at it is seeing big bucks alive, then on the ground and actually measuring them...there is no substitute for that. Lots of guys put in for these great draws for years, then shoot OK bucks, bucks they could get every year in leftover units, simply because they dont know what they're looking at.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom