Wyoming Antelope. Any Ideas?

Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
So I have 4 NR points for wyoming antelope now and im looking to burn them one of these days. Don't really care to shoot a dink (antelope hunting excites me enough already LOL) Id like an area where I have a shot at taking a 15 inch plus inch buck. Not really knowledgeable when it comes to antelope in Wyo, just know theres alot of them. Id prefer areas semi close to home for example, Baggs, Rawlins, Green River, Rock Springs etc.
Coloradoboy

tough to go wrong with an antelope unit close to the CO border or near any of those towns you said, put your time in and your sure to find a good goat, I went antelope hunting for teh first time last year and shot a goat that went just shy of 15". Antelope hunting is an absolute blast.

Thats what I was thinking, Ive heard areas around Rawlins and Baggs are extremely tough to draw. But after spending time up there elk hunting I think you can kill an antelope about anywhere in the state.

You may want to keep an eye on the weather. Wyo is having another pretty brutal winter with quite a bit of deep, crusty snow. The herd was just starting to rebound from one of the worse winterkills on record a few years ago around Rawlins and it doesn't look very promising right now. I was looking at the draw stats for Rawlins last night and tag numbers currently are the lowest I can remember for antelope. I just hope they get a break in the weather soon or there could be even fewer tags. Central Wyo was doing pretty well up until this winter. From what I've been told tag numbers may be cut there as well.

Hey CBoy,
The towns you listed surround the famous "cowboy state" red desert country, which has historically produced some of the best antelope anywhere. But my experience also tells me there are 15" antelope in every unit in the state if you look long and hard enough.
So, I would recommend you dig through the draw odds---choose an area you can draw and want to go to---then make a plan to hunt it hard---and you will accomplish your goal---or at least have fun trying.
Some suggest you wait after the opener to go hunt to avoid the rush. The other method that I have often used is to go a few days before the opener, scout out a few good bucks to target, and be sitting on them when dawn hits opening morning. Either way, it's a good time, especially if you have a kid or an antelope virgin with ya.
Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom