Wyoming 42/43 Moose

H

huntindude

My wife drew a 42/43 tag, anyone have any advice on this one? even if it's just in general it would help.

Do you need an outfitter to do good in this unit? seems most of them want to pack in but with only a half dozen tags in a huge area I have my doubts about that plan, but I don't know. I normally just hunt DIY like I did on my unit 23 moose but I don't want to blow her chance at a good bull if an outfitter is worth it.

Do you happen to live close to the units so you can scout? I drew an adjacent unit 1 tag a few years ago and some of the bulls migrated into 42/43 once the rut starts and they change what they are feeding on.

There is reason there are fewer tags available in 42/43. Those are giant units and moose density isn't near as high as on the east side of the Bighorns. If you have time to scout and spend some time you still shouldn't have trouble finding moose...depending upon how picky you are. You may want to talk to a couple biologist to get you started in the right direction?

One word of caution....the moose in unit 1 are in the same spots all summer long but totally move around once the season starts in Sept (they change feed). I'm not sure if this is the same in your wife's units but you may want to check into it?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom