Wyoming 056 Speedgoat

• Thread starter littlecaseof200itus
  • Start date
L

littlecaseof200itus

I was fortunate to draw this tag. I do not know much about the area other than it is near Rawlins and south of I-80.

I was curious if any of my fellow monster muley buddies could give me a little info. about the area.

Thanks a million in advance for any info.

willgoat.jpg

My old uncle big unit Richard johnson shot this savvy ole sonofabitch on public land in that very same big unit. Good luck with with that checkerboard cowboy, and congrats on your good fortune with this years draw. Watch out for the WYO Cowboys to win the MWC this year.

Chester,
Thanks for the info., it sounds like I will have to study the land ownership map some.

Smokepole,
Thats a hell of goat your uncle got there. Hopefully, Coach Glenn can have them boys ready to play for the season opener against VA. They are returning some good senior leadership to the squad this year and should be contenders in the MWC.

Anybody else have any information on 56? I dont need the biggest goat just a solid 10" to 12" ought to work. Just want to fill the freezer for the winter and have a fun hunt.

Thanks
200itus

I grew up in Rawlins and have hunted 56 a few times. I would say it is not the unit that some of the others around Rawlins are but a good unit none-the-less. Coming off I-80 you will have alot of checkerboard, mostly because the rail-line runs right down I-80 there. If it were me and if I could offer you one piece of information I would recommend taking the South Highway from Rawlins and hunt the very west border of the unit. In this general area I have seen everything from 70-85" goats and also a few "freaks"! Had a buddy draw the unit a few years back and I helped him on this hunt for several days, we found a goat that I thought would go close to book, after watching him for a few days he decided to pass because he was lacking prongs. He was one of the heaviest and tallest goats I have seen even to this day. Was without a doubt a book head. The only draw back of this part of the unit is you will be skirting private property the whole time and the area you can hunt is limited. But if there was ever to be a big goat out there, this would be where he would be. Although I don't live in Rawlins anymore, I currently reside elsewhere in Wyoming, I still spend plenty of time south of Rawlins and everytime I drive down the south highway I am haunted with this goat. I couldn't believe my buddy passed on this goat, but that was his call and I couldn't tell him any different. I would have dropped the hammer on him in a heartbeat.

Thanks a million for the information.

Big Muley,

That sounds like a real dandy of a goat. Is that private ground there on the west side posted throughout the area, or do I have to pay close attention to the ownership maps? Where do you recommend in town to get a burger and a cold beer after a day of hunting goats?

Thanks again for your help!

Not much in the way of resterants in rawlins, but sanfords is a good place for a burger and beer. And there is a pretty good mexican place there in sinclair but I can't think of the name of it. If you tag out early go check out saratoga, there is a mineral hot springs there and you can take the scenic drive over the snowy range to Laramie.

Pretty much the entire 56 unit is locked up and private..so public access is almost non-existent other than a few blm sections that intersect I80 and the highway south of Rawlins. Unfortunately I noticed the walk-in only area that was available last year was taken out this year so that doesn't leave much area to hunt unless you are willing to go guided. Obviously that is the main reason the unit is a fairly easy draw.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-07 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]Unfortunately I have to agree with what jiims told you! However if you know your maps and just generally know the area, which because of the nature of this post I assume you don't know the area that much, you can still hunt a pretty good expanse of land. Besides the entire five days or so we hunted that particular area we hunted maybe and I mean maybe a 1/2 mile circle. The antelope was never more than a few hundred yards from where we had seen him last. One time we left him for a few weeks, between bow and rifle season! We literally found him in the same group of sage bushes! It took that long for us to make a judgement call on him. We left for a few days to find some other goats to compare but when push came to shove he just wasn't what my buddy was after. I would be willing to bet he was at the very least a 83.5-84" inch goat depending on the angle! My buddy ended up shooting a 82 2/8" goat that had 6" prongs. I will have to see if I have a picture of this goat, I have the other one on the hoof if I can find them I would be more than happy to post them. I believe, looking back three years, the fence was marked as PRIVATE!!!!

I would remain optomistic as anyone that pays there dues on this unit will be rewarded!

As far as a burger and beer........................... well I will be honest with you, I try to stay away from that town now-a-days as much as possible but Su Casa in Sinclair is a mexican joint you absolutely need to try! Rose's Lariat is good as well, which is a mexican joint as well! I guess Sanfords would be one of the few places to get a burger and beer together, however my experience with that place has not been the best!

My parents and better portion of buddies still live in Rawlins but it has been a year since my last visit! I would be willing to place a very large wager on that fact that not much has changed as it rarely does over there! About the only thing that changes is the wind and prisoners in the south rawlins facility!!

Hey guys I really appreciate the information on the area.

It sounds like I need to be careful as to where I am with the private, but with the high population of goats and a little bit of luck, it seems that I may have a reasonable chance to get into something on one of the sections of BLM ground that is near/fronts one of the main roads. Thanks for the advice on the eating establishments in the area.

Bigmuley,
If you get a chance to post that pic that would be pretty sweet!

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom