Wyo Turkey - Any thing unethical about this

mulecreek

Very Active Member
I took this turkey on Sunday morning north of Moorcroft Wyo.
1715turkey3.jpg

We had parked the truck at 5:00am. I made one series of yelps and he answered back at a few hundred yards. My buddy and I walked in to about 100 yards and setup. He answered back at every series of yelps I made as did several hens that were with him. For about 15 minutes I called but never could get him to come closer. The hens sounded like they were leaving so we picked up to get closer assuming he would leave with the hens. We got to within 30 yds. We could hear him directly in front of us but could not see him in the timber. Then I noticed a bird still roosted in a big Ponderosa. I could see a beard but decided to make one more yelp to get a response to verify it was a gobbler. I called, he gobbled back so I took the shot. I have never shot one from the roost. Afterwards I started to wonder if that was the right thing to do. I feel that there is nothing wrong with taking a turkey out of the roost but I was curious what anyone else thinks.

In many states it is illegal to shoot them while on the roost, but I don't think Wyoming has it in their rules. Ethical? That is up to you. For me it is not something I would do. Shooting them from the roost ain't all that hard. Many times we have walked under roosting turkeys and they have not flown off, feeling safe in their roost. But it wasn't illegal. It is more surprising the tom wasn't off the roost a 1/2 hour before sun-rise.

My approach to turkey hunting is for the experience. I can buy a turkey down at the corner store if I am craving turkey.

Calling in a tom in the spring or ambushing a turkey in the fall at the edge of a field after learning the travel patterns is part of the experience I cherish.

If you felt you had a good experience on your tom hunt and were within the game laws then not sure it should not matter what I think. I say, good hunt and congrats. If the hunt experience was so-so as you look back then next time can toss a pine cone at the gobbler to chase him off and then maybe you will cross paths later in the day.

I used to hunt ducks on a large lake where a hunter in another blind would routinely allow ducks to land in his decoys and then he would shoot. He was eldery with poor eyesight and a bit shaky in his movement. Not my style of duck hunting but I spoke with him a few times over the years and he genuinely enjoyed hunting and eating ducks so he took "high percentage" shots so as not to waste shells.

>If you have to ask, then
>you already have your answer.
>

This.

I've never done it, despite many opportunities.

Don't know about Wyoming?

But most States have a Time of the day when it Opens & When it Closes!

If He was still in the Tree it was before legal Shooting time!

So you Pound em in the Ponderosa's Huh?

Give em one chance in the Tree & two in the air?

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

You are incorrect. Legal shooting time was 5:18am The shot was well after that.

I wouldn't say i make it normal practice to shoot them from the tree. I usually try to find one that is strutting in the front yard. That way breakfast doesn't get cold.

I would agree with some others that it is probably not the most sporting way to take one. When I first walked up on him I thought I must be the most stealthy hunter in the world to be able to walk up on a turkey. I changed that thought when the hens didn't fly off after the shot.

Live and learn I suppose.

I'm with Outdoors on this one.
Turkey hunting to me is kind of like a poor man's elk hunt. I like to try to call them in and outsmart the bird.
It is illegal where I hunt to shoot them in the tree, but even if it weren't I would probably pass.
My good friend likes to spot them and then try to ambush them. That is not my cup of tea either.
So if it's legal, then I guess it's ethical.

"So you wouldn't shoot a 390 bull if it were up in a tree?"

If a 390 Bull is up in a tree someone else already shot it. Just swap out tags and load it in the truck...... Terry

Shooting one out of a roost isn't hunting, its killing. If you like eating turkey and feel good about it, more power to ya...

If it's legal and you're satisfied with the experience then who cares what others think.

BTW, great looking bird.

Eldorado

Look at it this way - if it were a wolf and you shot it in its den, half of the guys on here would be lining up to buy your drinks.

A lot of the "sportsman" on here don't have a clue. But I think you have been given a pretty good set of answers.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

The "Sport" of spring turkey huntnig is sitting to a gobbling Tom. Find a copy of "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" by Gene Nunnery. His book has all sorts of turkey hunting stories each with a message designed to make you a better and more ethical turkey hunter. The Old Pro would not have approved.

That being said I have encounter a few "bad ass" Toms that schooled me morning after morning. I had to revert to bushwacking techniques in order to get the drop on a few. Never shot one off the roost but had it been legal and given the chance I'm sure I would have.

I'll preface by saying I'm not a turkey hunter but is there really a big difference between shooting a gobbler out of a tree and shooting a lion, bear or bobcat out of a tree........which is widely accepted?

Its not like sneaking up on tom is easy. Although, calling in a jake on opening morning can be.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom