Wyo Antelope?

B

bootspearo

Me and my buddy only have 1 point for antelope this year so we have decided to just buy leftover doe tags and buy a bonus point. We are doing this because we have never hunted wyo before and dont want to spend the money and get a buck tag that isnt in a good unit. So we want to buy doe tags in a good unit on the Western side of the state and check it out for the quality of the bucks the unit holds, and to learn the overall unit . So what unit do you reccomend. Thanks, Hugh

,First of all,I don't think there is bad unit for antelope ,unless it is the mountain units and I have even seen some there to.
Though I have never hunted it,unit 72 has got my interest.i have hunted 32,47,67,106 and 22 and a couple more I can't remember and I have found good bucks in all of them.Any of these would be a good choice for a doe and to scout for bucks.I am sure there will be more sugjestions.

I would agree. You should decide when you want to hunt for your buck. If it is next year, then that will limit your options some. You would need a unit you could draw with 2 points. There are some decent ones, especially if you use the special draw that can be had with 2 points. One option would be to pick a cluster of units and get a doe tag or 2 and check them all out and then make a plan from there with regards to how many years you want to wait. If you spend a day in a unit you should be able to get a decent idea of the quality available, at least what is a respectable buck.

Since all Wyoming Antelope tags are limited the odds of drawing are often (not always) related to the quality of the unit/or the public access. So I would get on the State website and study the odds carefully in relation to where you might want to hunt. As was stated above, your odds of drawing and the quality of the unit will usually go up if you are willing to fork out the extra greenbacks for the Special tag price. But those odds breakdowns are also listed on the website. One caution would be that some easy to draw units are also almost totally locked up to private land, requiring trespass fees to get on.
The Eastman's Hunting MRS, a few months back, has their opinion on which units are the best, if you have access to one of those or know someone that does.
I don't think it is rocket science so you should be able to get a good idea by doing a little looking.
Good Luck

I think unit's from evanston to rock springs Iam going to look at, kinf of leaning towards 100. Thats a good idea with getting a doe tag in a couple different units I think I will lean towards that option. Thanks for everyones replys. Hugh

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom