Wyo Antelope help

elkantlers

Long Time Member
I am looking at trying to draw a NR antelope tag in Wyoming this year for me and my 13 year old son. If anyone can help me with a good unit to apply for I would appreciate it. I am not looking for a huge trophy, just some nice bucks. We both have 1 point from last year.

Thanks, elkantlers

Yup, your Innie is an Outie right now, elkantlers.
With that, I'll go as far as I'm ever going to right here, with some pessimistic assumptions based on a generalized request.
I'm going with NR, one point, non-special, that does not have the point option included, on public.
For third choice, any area around Gillette. Tags abound and there's a little decent land to hunt in each that is not just spread out state sections. A hunter can get a buck, but no other promises.
Second choice, going with the easy draw but decent lopes on more public land opportunity, I like 7 and 29. If 27 didn't have such long NR odds, I'd include it, but IMHO it is also nothing more than a "good" area at best.
For first, with fair odds, 75, 73, maybe 74. Some "good" opportunities we've had and fun hunting grounds, esp. campin' out.
Now if you were to take the point option, or just go for lucky on a first choice, that would change things, and my favorite picks, then down the line of choices, need an Inbox.
They're just a wee bit different from the conventional "wisdom" out there.

An antelope hunt in most any area will be a great trip for your son. My son's first hunt came on a leftover unit near Casper and it was great. We didn't see any monsters, but we got some nice bucks. We had to pay a small trespass fee to hunt a ranch, but it was well worth the time we spent.
Do your homework and study the odds. Go a day or two early and scout the entire unit. I had my 12 year old go through about 60 rounds busting rocks from different shooting positons in hunting conditions. I put a bipod on his rifle and he hammered his buck on the first shot.
It seems the further north and east you go in Wyoming, the better the odds of drawing, but the more private land you run into. Good luck to you and your son.

I fixed my inbox! I don't know what happened, I received a PM back in November.

Thanks for the help so far. I would be willing to pay a small tresspass fee to a landowner if anyone has some info on that they would be willing to pass along.

Thanks again, elkantlers

I would apply for 47 late season you wont be able to hunt till then end of sept or beginning of October but you may be able to make it a combo deer/ antelope hunt. around the 15 th.

moseley middleton

Watch the 47-2, they changed the boundries this year, can't hunt the second season at the north end of the unit where most of the public land is.

Rich

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom