WY UNIT 67 ANTELOPE TROPHY POTENTIAL???

MITROLL

Anyone have any information on how the Antelope handled the winter in this unit? Is this a decent trophy unit? Looking at unit 90 or 67 at this point. Any info would help. Thanks Brian

Yep, the next 6 or 8 weeks is crunch time as to what will happen to a lot of the animals where it's been bad.

So far so good... Depends on what you are calling a decent trophy... Lots of good moisture so far... As far as the worst winter in 5 years, maybe, but we have gotten used to mild winters... I personally have hunted area 67 and have friends that like 90 and 91...

Thanks Chadderbox. Doesn't have to be a monster. Something thats in the 15" range would be nice. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Just would like to get the most bang for my points. I'm sure the potential is in both units for an over 70" buck. That's if I even know one when I see it. LOL

In areas 67,68,72 and 74 if you can't do better than a 70" goat you didn't try or care... There is a learning curve at judging a goat, but a goat over 70" is very doable... Don't let the length of horn confuse you... The difference between a 14" and 15" is only 2" added to the score... You need that mass and good cutters... I have shot a lot of goats with 15" horns that don't score as good as the 14"+ goats... When your talking about a 80" goat though you need a little length to go with the mass and prong... If you do decide on one of the areas I would be willing to point you in the right direction... Good luck, Chad

Thanks Chadderbox, Appreciate the help. Good Advice. I may purchase the Eastman's Antelope DVD to help in field judging Antelope. I'm also going to purchase a better spotter. Brian

I have took two 15 inch antelope in that area.One was from 67 and the other 106,but it was several years ago.

That part of Wyo got about 150% more snow this winter than usual so there is a chance that tag numbers will be cut due to winterkill? Keep your fingers crossed that they get a break in the weather! There has been deep, crusty snow almost the entire winter in that area but some of it melted last week. I've been applying for that general area in Wyo but am seriously considering looking elsewhere this year. From now through the remainder of the fall is critical.

Amen, lets hope the rest of the winter goes OK. Bad winters will affect horn lengths. It should be possible to find a 15" buck, but I'd take a super heavy 13" with good prongs over a skinny 15" any day!

Thanks, I'm getting conflicting reports on the winterkill. Your saying unit 67 got hit hard? Any suggestions on an area with 4 pts. How about 74,62 or 90? Thanks for the heads up..

I work for most of the ranchers in area 67. Winter hasn't been a factor as far as killing goats. 150% more snow in comparison to our drought over the last few years isn't saying much. I have seen a lot more snow in the past. It doesn't stick around, to much wind. It only stays in valley because of the cold...

150% of precip sounds like quite a bit of snow to me? I've been keeping tabs of snow in that area via highway webcam and there certainly wasn't much country void of snow for several months previous to March? In fact, it looked like a white desert w/0 open areas from Riverton to Casper.

In regard to 62 antelope there was a lot of snow in a swath west and south of Rawlins. In fact, I spoke to a guy in Craig last week that said they had 2' of snow there. From Rawlins east to Walcott Jct there didn't seem to be near as much snow so 62 ought to be ok. It looks like there has been a reprieve in the weather this past week so hopefully the critters get a break!

I would think if chadderbox lives right there and works all over unit 67 that I would listen to him and put in for it if that was what you initially were going to do. Like he sort of said, 150% of almost nothing in a normal year apparently isn't doing them much damage!!!

Thanks everyone for your help. Sent in application last night for 67. I'm sure I'll have fun no matter what. Me and my brother haven't been out since 07. Really looking forward to it. All we need to do is find 2 nice ones. I hope the winter spared us those 2....

Went for a drive and the goats look great in the area... Trust me, I'm better than web cam... Good luck on the draw, let me know how you do...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom