WY Unit 107

L

Limo4141

Drew 107 for antelope, was wondering about the BLM campgrounds near Atlantic City or would we be ahead to camp on the BLM land in the area. Would be in a popup camper a little concerned about bears, had a bad experience in NM some years back while tent camping.

Hunted 107 numeros years and stay in a tent. Will be hunting it this year also with my two twin boys (16 year old) and camping in a tent again. Never had a thought or concern of bears in that unit. There is forested parts on the unit but most is sage brush or surrounded by sagebrush. We have always camped on BLM. There is water at the public rest stop/restrooms on the highway as you enter the unit from the south. Nice to use occassionally and wash up with warm water.

Thanks rmanwill I will be with my oldest daughter this will be our first speedgoat hunt. We only have doe tags going to go doe hunting and learn while building preference points. Hope you guys have a good time. We may tent camp as well I prefer to travel light.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-11 AT 09:17AM (MST)[p]There are 2 BLM campgrounds within a 1/2 mile of Atlantic City. Both look fine, but not much too them, pretty similar to just camping somewhere on the BLM (but they do seem to be out of the wind, in some trees and near water). You could check them both out and also other areas. You should be able to find a few does without a problem, but they do seem a little bit pressured in that area (will make for a fun hunt). It gets a little busier in there on Oct. 1st when elk season opens. If you want the place to yourself I might go somewhere btwn the opener and Sept. 30th and you should see some deer and maybe some elk or a moose as well. Either of the last 2 weeks of September the weather should most likely be pretty good. There is no gas in Atlantic City, so bring some gas cans or be prepared to head to Lander or to the south to fill up.

Not sure if you saw this, but it looks like there is water and toilets if that is what you are looking for:

http://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/field_offices/Lander/rec/sopasscamp.html

Good info I appreciate the help. Lot to learn but thats the way I like it. Chose this area for does for the history there and I can look at other units on the way.

If you are going for the history, definitely check out Miner's Delight and South Pass City and the old mining complex btwn South Pass and Atlantic City. If you are a Louis L'Amour fan (maybe even if you are not), you should definitely read 'Bendigo Shafter' as it takes place in the area around Miner's Delight. Lots of cool Pony Express stuff around there as well. Have fun.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/9184wyoming_8-08_(64).jpg
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/341wyoming_8-08_(74).jpg

I have camped there several times during August and Sept while hunting the muzzle loader hunt. I prefer to camp there because there are pit toilets so I dont fill my black water tank too quickly. There is also a water spicket to fill your water tank. And for $6 a night to stay out of the sun and wind, you cant beat it. I have seen one bear in the area but not in camp.

I've been searching for campground photos on line so I appreciate your pics. Those are the best I have seen so far. The water is worth a lot. If you killed any ant with your smoke pole was you able to get under 200yds.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom