WY Special Archery Seasons

R

RetchSweeney

I have some questions in regards to the special archery seasons available for some of the WY elk hunt areas.

1) If as a non-resident I draw a general elk license for one of the hunt areas that offer the special archery season, how much does it cost to purchase the additional archery license? Would I have to spend another $591.00 in addition to the $591.00 spent on the general elk license?

2) I can see in the regs that the list of special archery seasons are not set until after the application deadline for elk. Does this list change frequently? If I see a hunt area listed here for 2014, what are the odds this hunt area will offer the special archery season again in 2015?

Thanks in advance!

$30 for a non-resident archery lic.

here is a link. just look for archery in the search bar in middle of the page.

http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/licprices/default.aspx

If you have a general tag that has a special archery season you can hunt during the archery season and hunt it in the rifle season to, can even hunt with a bow during the rifle season if you please. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY SOME PEOPLE GET A ARCHERY ONLY TAG FOR A AREA THAT HAS GENERAL AND A ARCHERY SEASON. ONLY THING I CAN THINK IS THAT THEY MUST ONLY ARCHERY HUNT ONLY.

This is a good set up. a guy can really extend his season for deer and elk if that area is under the special archery season.

For your second question that is part of the game. But I don't watch every area to see the changes but for the most part a whole doesn't change for special archery and hunting dates. The last biggest change I seen was some deer areas were sept 15-oct.-14 and couple years ago they changed it to sept.1 to sept 30.

IF you can find some older regs just compare it to new ones... Also if you are set on a area to hunt maybe call a game warden right before you apply for a tag and see if he knows of any changes coming. Most of the game wardens are more than happy to share info....

The only changes I would be worried about is maybe areas with wolves. since those areas were all general and are now going to limited tags. I see area 56 going from general to limited with in the next couple of years so keep that thought in mind

Thanks for the reply, this will help me plan out my WY strategy.

Anybody have past regs for Wyoming they can share with me? I can offer AZ regs since 2007 in trade.

As far as I know, every general season elk unit opens Spet 1st for archery. In fact I haven't come across any general deer or elk unit where I hunt that doesen't open Sept 1 for archery. Now the rifle openers, they vary greatly depending on the unit.

If you're reading that seasons aren't set, you're reading the application brochure, not the regs. The two are separate entities.
Go to the regulations link on the hunting page, then to the species of your choice, and the archery dates will be listed after the unit boundary descriptions.

Good ole Retch Sweeney...Haven't heard that name for awhile. Thanks for bringing up a memory and making me laugh out loud!

I have all the old regs dating back to the late '80's...don't ask me why, I just do.

PM me for specific info and I'll get back to you when I can. Pretty busy right now...

Ha ha, Retch is always good for a laugh. I sent you a PM with a very specific question. If you find time I would love to know the answer.

In the meantime, does anyone know where to find electronic copies of past WY regs?

The area I applied for had a archery only type 9 season as well as a type 1 season. The only advantage to the archery only option was a September 1st opener. If you had a type one tag with the archery permit your season didn't start till sept 15th.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom