WY NR application fee increase proposed

BuzzH

Long Time Member
Been meaning to put this out there, the TRW committee is proposing a couple real gems for bills regarding Wyoming.

Raising nonrefundable NR application fees from $15 to $75 dollars and Resident application fees from $5 to $20.

To make matters worse a good portion of those fees going to the landowner damage compensation fund. We already fully fund the damage fund via license fees.

Hunting license application fees increase.Sponsored by: Joint Travel, Recreation, Wildlife & Cultural Resources Interim CommitteeA BILLfor1 AN ACT relating to game and fish; authorizing the game and 2 fish commission to set application fees for hunting 3 licenses as specified; and providing for an effective date.45 Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Wyoming:67 Section 1. W.S. 23-2-101(e)is amended to read:89 23-2-101. Fees; restrictions; nonresident application fee; 10 nonresident licenses; verification of residency required; 11 donation of refunded application fees.122025 STATE OF WYOMING 25LSO-0057Working Draft0.62 [Bill Number]1 (e) Resident and nonresident license applicants shall 2 pay an application fee in an amount specified by this 3 subsection upon submission of an application for purchase 4 of any limited quota drawing for big or trophy game license 5 or wild bison license. The resident application fee6 Application fees shall be five dollars ($5.00) established 7 by rule and shall not exceed twenty dollars ($20.00) for 8 resident applications and the seventy-five dollars ($75.00) 9 for nonresident application fee shall be fifteen dollars 10 ($15.00)applications. The application fee is in addition to 11 the fees prescribed by subsections (f) and (j) of this 12 section and by W.S. 23-2-107 and shall be payable to the 13 department either directly or through an authorized selling 14 agent of the department. At the beginning of each month, 15 the commission shall set aside all of the fees collected 16 during calendar year 1980 and not to exceed twenty-five 17 percent (25%) of the fees collected thereafter pursuant to 18 this subsection to establish and maintain a working balance 19 of five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000.00), to 20 compensate owners or lessees of property damaged by game 21 animals and game birds.

So, that brings me to the next step, which explains the GF wanted more funds diverted to the landowner damage claim fund.

That would be this little gem that the GF is using to end run legislation that failed last year.

(iii) Extraordinary damage to grass shall include damage to forage on privately owned or privately leased rangelands under the following conditions: (A) Where a big game animal herd is over objective as established by the Commission for three (3) or more consecutive years and damage by over objective big game animals exceeds fifteen percent (15%) of the estimated annual forage production which shall be based on the standard Animal Unit Month (AUM) of forage consumed equivalent to seven hundred fifty (750) pounds of dry forage. For purposes of this subsection, over objective big game animal herds means a population estimate that indicates a herd unit is greater than twenty percent (20%) above the numerical herd objective as set by the Commission; or, (B) Damage to rangelands by big game animals that exceeds thirty percent (30%) or more of the estimated annual forage production based on the standard AUM of forage consumed equivalent to seven hundred fifty (750) pounds of dry forage.

Under this proposed regulation change, the GF added the EXACT verbiage to regulation that I literally received phone calls from upper GF staff to oppose in last years legislation. The reason was because this will cost Sportsmen millions in revenue to compensate ranchers for elk eating their grass.

It's pretty special that the GF and commission as well as the legislature are acting in partnership to knife sportsmen and wildlife in the back. Its one thing to sort of know that may be going on, it's a totally different thing to make it this blatant.

I would strongly suggest that Residents in particular make contact immediately with the GF commission and ask them to oppose the Chapter 28 proposed regulation changes. I would also encourage you to contact the TRW committee and let them know you oppose the application fee increases to both R and NR applicants.

NR, feel free to contact as well if you're so inclined but realize you don't have the sway that residents do.

Dang. $75 fee seems appropriate for the high end permits but it's more than double the cost of a doe antelope.

That said, if the money were being used for a good cause, I could stomach it.

That money should be used to procure access to private land for hunters so that over objective herds can be effectively targeted thus dispersing them and reducing ag losses without having to pay private landowners, many of whom are abetting the situation by locking out public hunters, benefitting by outfitter leases, and sticking their hand out for more state welfare payments. WY (the non ranch owning) residents must be SO proud of their representatives, agencies and system. To have to constantly fight such thinly veiled elite interests must be exhausting. And yes, NR realize we have no say.

perhaps if we did……..

If the fee only applies to applications and not buying a preference point draw odds should increase dramatically on all but the highest quality tags. who's going to drop $75 for a long shot at a so so or a crap tag. you'll just build points until you expect to draw.

Under this proposed regulation change, the GF added the EXACT verbiage to regulation that I literally received phone calls from upper GF staff to oppose in last years legislation. The reason was because this will cost Sportsmen millions in revenue to compensate ranchers for elk eating their grass.NR, feel free to contact as well if you're so inclined but realize you don't have the sway that residents do.
Any chance those that called you last year are candidates for the Director job?

If the fee only applies to applications and not buying a preference point draw odds should increase dramatically on all but the highest quality tags. who's going to drop $75 for a long shot at a so so or a crap tag. you'll just build points until you expect to draw.
I dont think so. All these data services have brainwashed a whole generation of hunters to apply apply apply no matter the odds or costs.

The same people who dropped $1200 for Deer, Pronghorn, and $2,000 Elk tags are the ones who will pay that $75 and not look back. I don't like it but I'm going hunting.

This **** is stopping for me. One more deer, one more antelope and I'll never spend money in Wyo again. Thanx, it's been fun.
I can pay the 75, Probably will.

What really bothers me is that it just doesn't end. Everywhere we look it's price increases. It's a race to see who can squeeze the NR first and hardest. I feel for the guys that this will be a bit too much and have to quit.
When I was a young guy and was applying the whole family this would have been $375 just to apply. At that time I probably couldn't have done it.

And for those that are going to say we just have to make sacrifices and work extra shifts or whetever, you can save your breath. People are already doing that just to pay for groceries and roof.

I dont think so. All these data services have brainwashed a whole generation of hunters to apply apply apply no matter the odds or costs.
Pretty much true. but if you're putting in for a tag that takes 9 points, and you have 6 are you going to drop another $75 on the slim chance of drawing a random tag out of the 25% ? some will. but I bet some won't.

I doubt it will stop many guys from buying points, they just won't apply. I don't really care what the tag costs, I just resent being screwed over in the process of drawing it.

It will get a lot of applicants who are trying to get lucky with a random tag out of actually applying before having the required points. A smaller increase may keep more in and generate more revenue.

I tell you what, my 401K and brokerage account are both thanking Biden.
Stock market will rise and fall. With the amount of money being invested everyday/month/year it can only go up over time. Funny how the last 2 deep dives were Obama/Biden now Biden/Harris?

BIDEN and his failed policy's and green new rip off has caused inflation, gas prices, food prices, global insecurities. 2 new wars. So 401k may go up, but it is balanced out by the above increased costs.

4yrs ago I had lower gas prices,lower food prices, strong border, and a roaring 401K. Just think how well your 401K would look if we did not gut the market twice in the last 15-16 yrs.

And a leader who was hard on the ears, but great for this country.

The above is not political, just the truth and factually correct.

Despite the best efforts of our elected officials, the US economy is going to do what it does, be the strongest in the world. The President gets way too much credit when the economy is stronger and way too much blame when it is not. What I am trying to figure out is how the President affects application fees in a state.

Stock market will rise and fall. With the amount of money being invested everyday/month/year it can only go up over time. Funny how the last 2 deep dives were Obama/Biden now Biden/Harris?

BIDEN and his failed policy's and green new rip off has caused inflation, gas prices, food prices, global insecurities. 2 new wars. So 401k may go up, but it is balanced out by the above increased costs.

4yrs ago I had lower gas prices,lower food prices, strong border, and a roaring 401K. Just think how well your 401K would look if we did not gut the market twice in the last 15-16 yrs.

And a leader who was hard on the ears, but great for this country.

The above is not political, just the truth and factually correct.
Believe what you want but the president has about zero control over fuel prices, the markets, and inflation.

There's little surprise that inflation took off after BOTH trump and Biden infuse the economy with money during covid. Whether or not you agree with the COVID relief, neither had any way of knowing at the time what the final outcome was going to be. Rather than risk economic collapse, I believe they both made a decision on the best data they had at the time. I can't, and won't fault either for that.

While everyone is crying about inflation, I am not spending anywhere close to what I'm gaining in the market. I haven't spent anywhere close to well into additional six figures for the price of groceries, fuel, or anything else the past six months.

If you're not beating the chit out of inflation in the market right now, you might want to consult with a money manager.

Also my 401 wasn't "gutted" during down turns...you lose nothing until you sell. I did a chitload of buying during the down cycles as well.

Yes, In spite of the Biden Admin. The USA is very resilient. Can you imagine what it would be if we had a competent Government that didn't overregulate the bejezzus out of everything.
Yes. We've had that in the past. Those places are now called superfund sites. Rivers catching on fire was another great thing about no regulations.

Big difference between regulating things to protect people and the environment versus over regulating for the sake of government to keep busy.

Also a big difference between people in their 60’s who have worked hard, saved, and invested verses those starting out now and raising a family.

Big difference between regulating things to protect people and the environment versus over regulating for the sake of government to keep busy.

Also a big difference between people in their 60’s who have worked hard, saved, and invested verses those starting out now and raising a family.

If you don't think clean water and clean air are important, lets relax the requirement for standards on both.

We'll take a vote and keep track of who voted to relax standards versus those that didn't. Those who think there's too many regulations will have their water chemically mixed to the upper limit of standards for them and their families. Same with air quality, you'll have air piped into your home at the upper limit of allowable pollutants.

Going backward on clean air, clean water, and cleaner environment is not a smart move, period end of statement.

Second point, I agree 100%, younger generations are at a severe disadvantage and I can see why they're disenfranchised. From jobs, pay, hunting, access to tags, etc. I get it and feel bad for them. Possibly the first generation that will, undoubtedly, have a rougher go at many things. We all failed, and are failing them a bit.

For the record, I'm not in my 60's. I do feel I made some good choices, but I have to be honest that luck played a big role as well.

Last edited:
So if a president shuts down domestic oil production or pipelines it doesn’t affect the price?
Might want to get your information from somewhere other than a bumper sticker.

How is it that record production is "shutting down domestic production"?

How long has your wait time been in the fuel lines due to domestic production shutting down?

If there's a shortage of anything, its refining capacity that is never going to increase when there's more profit to be made from producing just enough.

That whole supply/demand deal, well that is if you actually believe that whole economic theory.

Yep. You’re always right Buzz. Prices under Biden have been just like they were under trump. Keep believing
Read the article from Forbes. If you're totally divorced from reality, that the US essentially shutting down due to covid, wasn't going to drop demand and increase supply. Well, I can't make you understand basic economic theory of what that does to price. I'll give you a hint, that lowers price.

Conversely, once covid restrictions were relaxed, and things started roaring back, demand increased, supply decreased. Once again, the basic economic theory took hold and when supply tightens, with high demand, prices increase. Combine that with some covid relief funds, people and businesses wanted to get back to it, yeah, supply was going to decrease and price increase.

Anyone that believed low fuel prices due to a once-in-a-generation pandemic was going to keep prices low forever, has not only divorced themselves from reality, but I would argue, is just plain ignorant. Even further, if you think the President controls fuel prices, oil prices, I think some self-reflection is in order.

The only way trump could have been responsible for low fuel prices is if you believe he was responsible for releasing covid on the world. I don't believe he did, therefore, he was not responsible for the artificially low fuel prices due to covid. I also don't blame trump for prices increasing later in his term, totally predictable as the economy took off and people had money to burn.

Finally, I agree with the Forbes article, that Presidents get too much credit AND too much fault over things they have little, if any control over.

It is great fodder to point fingers about fuel prices for the low information voters to use for talking points, but that doesn't make it factual.

Last edited:
I read a bumper sticker that said production was up because of more efficient extraction. Every article out there must be accurate.
What difference does it make for extraction efficiency being the reason for the highest production in U.S./world history?

Are you implying they should be less efficient? Dump oil on the ground? Leave it in the ground?

Nope. I am saying that the production isn’t higher, it’s just more efficient.
Dude, come on, you're smarter than that. You're in denial, US oil production absolutely is at an all time high.

“The United States produced more crude oil than any nation at any time, according to our International Energy Statistics, for the past six years in a row. Crude oil production in the United States, including condensate, averaged 12.9 million barrels per day (b/d) in 2023, breaking the previous U.S. and global record of 12.3 million b/d, set in 2019. Average monthly U.S. crude oil production established a monthly record high in December 2023 at more than 13.3 million b/d.

The way we gauge production is by the amount we extract, you know, the number of barrels, not by the method.

Production methods make no difference, dipping oil from a hole dug with a pick and shovel using a bucket, fracking, directional drilling, yada yada...what matters is how many barrels we produce.

Last edited:
Now, back to the original subject.

TRW Agenda for Tuesday July 9th:

This proposed agenda sets forth the order in which the Committee may consider each topic. The agenda is subject to revision and all times listed are tentative and may be subject to change. If a topic is concluded early, the Committee will proceed to the next topic. For multiple day meetings, topics not completed on the indicated day may be carried over to the next day. Breaks will be taken as necessary.

Tuesday, July 9th 2024​

1. 8:30 AM Call to Order
    • Roll Call
    • Welcome and opening remarks
    • Attendees please sign in
  2. 8:45 AM Wyoming Game and Fish Department
    • Bill Draft: 25LSO-0058, Hunting licenses-weighted bonus points system
      • Luke Plumb, Staff Attorney, LSO
      • Update from the Working Group
    • Bill Draft: 25LSO-0059, Mule and white tail deer-separate hunting seasons
    • Bill Draft: 25LSO-0057, Hunting license application fee increase
    • Bill Draft: 25LSO-0056, Game and fish property tax exemption
    • Update on the Free and reduced price licenses recoupment program
    • Public Comments
    • Committee Directives
  3. 12:00 PM Lunch
  4. 1:30 PM Wyoming Game and Fish Department cont'd
    • Continuation of topics from the morning, if needed.

For those that feel inclined to comment can do so via zoom or in person:

he meeting will be held in-person in Casper and remotely with a live video stream available on the Legislature's Website www.wyoleg.gov. A limited number of participants can sign up to provide public comment virtually for a specified agenda item during the Committee's upcoming meeting. The total amount of time dedicated to virtual public comment is set by the Committee Chairmen per Management Council Policy. Please fill out the public comment form to ensure the Committee knows you intend to provide public comment virtually. Only those that fill out the form to provide public comments virtually and who are e-mailed the Zoom invite from the Legislative Service Office will be permitted into the Zoom meeting to testify. The deadline for members of the public requesting to provide live testimony will be 5 PM. of the day immediately preceding the day on which the topic is noticed to be discussed by the committee. At the chairman's discretion, testimony may be accepted after this deadline if it is in the best interest of the work of the committee.

Even further, if you think the President controls fuel prices, oil prices, I think some self-reflection is in order.

What if said president drained the strategic reserve?

On a serious on topic note, do you have more information on the weighted bonus points and what they are discussing in regards to that. Seems like that could have a much bigger impact than an app fee.

I will say it is a little amusing that commissioner tag raffles will soon be cheaper than actually applying.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom