WY moose unit 5

orion23

Very Active Member
im considering applying for moose in unit 5. im a non-res and would not be hunting the wilderness areas. does anyone know how the access and country is outside the wilderness areas? are horses a necessity? thanks for any information.

travis.

Plenty of roads, although most fairly rough off the main roads. Horses not necessarily needed. Great for bow hunting. email me for specifics.

never mind, I found it. SOrry to all who have pm'd me over the years and I havn't replied! Just figured it out. Some of us are slow learners.

oddnut1

i have 7 points. i believe everyone drew last year in these units(5 and 26) with 7 points, maybe it went up this year who knows, but these are the two im looking at.

thanks. travis.

Remember that 7 points going in this year is the group that started with the $7 point. This is the biggest pool, because they did not have to front the whole fee to build points. Note that the 6 point pool last year for 5 had a 4% draw rate. Some with 7 will draw, but it is not high probability. Points to draw those units that took 6-7 points will start going up until that (your) pool clears.

Expanding on what ElmerFudd said-

Let's take a look at each unit in detail and assume for math and estimate purposes the same number of people apply:

Unit 5 NR 2006 Quota: 5
25 people with have 7 points going into this year. (20%)

Unit 26 NR 2006 Quota: 9
Wyoming doesn't release detail point information below the amount of points that it took to draw. It's important to note that nobody in the 6 pool even had a shot last year. Also, almost 260 people put in for it vs. 127 in Unit 5. Knowing the number of people with 6 pts last year in that pool, the number in 26 is probably alot higher than 25 people listed above.

If you are really looking to possibly hunt next year, go with Unit 5. If your not in a hurry, pick your favorite unit and for it.

Good luck either way.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

SOB! i literally just finished applying for 26!...and i actually wanted to apply for 5 but i thought my odds would be better in 26. can i change it by calling wyoming F&G?

travis.

If you applied on-line, I believe you can modify your application. Log back onto the application page, view your items purchased, and select the modify button next to your moose application. It says you can change your hunt areas and types. Let us know how it goes.

That's crazy that you literally had applied! Glad it was an easy fix. Like always, who knows how the apps will fall, but Unit 5 should have better odds. Plus, it sounds like that unit was your preferred choice, I think you made the right choice. Now the wait begins... again, good luck!

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

I hunted WY Unit 5 for moose in 2004 and killed a nice representative Shiras bull... but, no monster.

Moose were hard to find, unlike several years earlier when they supposedly were all over the place. Many of the locals blamed the wolves migrating out of Yellowstone, saying the population had significantly declined over the previous few years.

We hunted some in the Wilderness area, but most of the moose we found were at lower elevations in the willow bogs. I can't find my topo map of the area, so can't give you a specific location, but I found my bull in one of the hillside bogs to the southeast of the point where the road up from Pinedale curves to the east into the Wilderness area.

One issue on my hunt is that there were elk hunters everywhere. This provided some benefit, as they were generally willing to share information on moose sightings, but it was more negative than positive, in that the increased human activity seemed to cause the moose to leave the bogs for the dark timber earlier than usual (this was according to my local hunting partner).

I enjoyed my moose hunt in Unit 5, but if I had it to do all over again, I would have waited until I could draw a unit that was further away from the wolves.

Good luck.

Unit 5 is a hard area to hunt. If you don't have a couple weeks to hunt it then I wouldn't put in for it. I spend a lot of time there and the moose are there. The quality of bulls are there too. But you gotta remember its moose hunting. You are not going to see a lot of moose. If you want to see a lot of moose I'd wait to draw 26. But you're not going to the find as big of bulls in 26 as 5. With that said....

All of WY moose areas are down in trophy quality aspects. I don't buy into the wolf thing for area 5. There are lots of moose areas that do not have wolves that are in the same shape as unit 5.

I'm a resident sitting on Max points. Why? because i don't have the time it takes for a successful moose hunt.

If i had a 5 tag i would go wilderness, no where else.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom