WY elk thoughts

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Hello All,
I would appreciate any help anyone can offer in planning my future Wyoming elk strategy. I am a NR with max points and due to work have to hunt the last half of November or latter. I was putting in for 58-1 but most of that unit is on the Hoodoo ranch. This year they are not allowing DIY bull elk hunters on the ranch the last 2 weeks of the season because they are going to lease it out to an outfitter. The season ends Nov. 30. I would be hunting DIY either solo or with one friend helping out. I have all the snow camping & hunting gear need for winter hunting.

All the late season hunts have slim odds, but I would rather wait for a great DIY hunt. Some of the other units I am looking at are 56-1, 59-1, 61-2, and 124-1. 124-1 and 56-1 (only offered every few years) would fit my work schedule easily and I could spend 2 weeks hunting. If I switch to 59-1 or 61-2 I would be restricted to hunting to 1 week if I was lucky. Then again I could also try and hunt for 1 week in 58-1 before they close it for the outfitters.

Guess what I am asking is if anyone has any information on these units, or another late hunt I missed and should be researching?
Would hunting for a week only in 58-1 before the outfitter started still be good, or are the last 2 weeks of the season the best? Is the small amount of public land in 58-1 enough to hunt and have a good chance at a big bull?

Thanks
Bill

Just remember you are a NR and cant hunt in the wilderness unless you are with a guide or with a resident. Also look into unit 53. its a late hunt and areas with not so much wilderness.. it use to be like 3 areas and they are all combined now into one unit

Thanks Michael
Looks like it now includes 53,52, and 121.
I will check it out.

Thanks
Bill

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom