WY elk question

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I'm not as familiar with Wyoming as I am other states - so I thought I'd pose my question here. I'm interested in the late season elk hunts, but I've only got 5 points going into the 2013 draw. Not looking for the biggest elk in the state, but just wondered if I had any chance of drawing a late season tag in any of the units that offer the late season. It'll be a guided hunt.

If not late season - any advice on what areas to look with 5 points?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks to the wolves there aren't too many late hunts left, and the good ones take max points.

You could look at some of the hunts in the Bighorn range, like 45. pretty good hunting but while there are a few big ones don't expect to see anything over 300.

Stay thirsty my friends

You can draw Unit 106 with two points. It's Nov 15 - Dec 31, if that's what you mean by LATE HUNT.

Unit 45 is a max point draw for the late hunt.

Unit 113 is a maybe. New hunt in 2012. Do some data mining at WYO G&F website.

Don't put in for 113. Hunted there this year for 7 days in the middle of the season. Saw 1 cow, but then I am not a die hard elk hunter and it was probably just me.

I won a Commissioners tag(from WY Wild Sheep Foundation) and since I don't have horses selected an area with truck and ATV access. My gut reaction was to select a late season mule deer area but since I drew a good mule deer tag in Nevada I went with an elk area. Should have went with my gut or sold it and used the $$ for Africa....LOL. I'm not to smart!!!

Did see some nice mule deer bucks(every day), including 2 in the 30" range. Of course it was during the rut.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Mr. Madness you beat me to the post, but I will follow along to see what the good fellas of this website hopefully have to say.

I am planning a later season non-resident elk hunt for Wyoming as well for the upcomming year. My friend and I both have 5 points according to the website.... But I'm not sure if the ones purchased in July are posted in that total???

Anyhow my friend is a logger and I work in wildland fire so we were hoping to shoot for a later season (early November) hunt as well.

Hope there is something out there for us 5pointer nonres types!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-12 AT 06:09PM (MST)[p]The PPs we purchased this year were posted on our G&F accounts a couple months ago, so your 5 should be accurate. Start doing your research if you haven't already because the January elk application period is close! See what units have late hunts and then go into the odds section and see how many PPs it took to draw that hunt the last few years. After you've done that, then you can really start asking questions on various forums to see what others have to say that have been there.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom