WY bison, updates?

I have no specific info and am just answering from prior experience.

Cows on the refuge now, very unlikely! They might try 1-2 times between now and major snowfall but they'll only be there for a matter of minutes, weather they get shot at (which they will) or not.

Cows in the forest, possible at best. Guys usually kill a couple around the base of shadow mountain and ditch creek and around up towards buffalo valley. But they don't kill very many (2-3)! And actually several guys a year will kill a buff in what they think is the forest only to have G&F check the kill site and confiscate their meat/head/rug because in fact they were on park property.

THE COWS KNOW WHERE THEY ARE SAFE AND WHERE THEY ARE NOT!!
sometimes as accurately as any GPS.

You could always call a warden or bio or even some of the park rangers that work that area and most of them will be very forthcoming with solid, accurate, and timely information...they want to see the herd numbers reduced!

I know it's tough to wait for the snow fall but once it's here with some depth the buffalo will cross from the park into the refuge every 2-4 days until the season ends. With the longer season this year they're will be a higher than average harvest total, especially towards the end.

>I have no specific info and
>am just answering from prior
>experience.
>
>Cows on the refuge now,
>very unlikely! They might
>try 1-2 times between now
>and major snowfall but they'll
>only be there for a
>matter of minutes, weather they
>get shot at (which they
>will) or not.
>
>Cows in the forest, possible at
>best. Guys usually kill
>a couple around the base
>of shadow mountain and ditch
>creek and around up towards
>buffalo valley. But they
>don't kill very many (2-3)!
> And actually several guys
>a year will kill a
>buff in what they think
>is the forest only to
>have G&F check the kill
>site and confiscate their meat/head/rug
>because in fact they were
>on park property.
>
>THE COWS KNOW WHERE THEY ARE
>SAFE AND WHERE THEY ARE
>NOT!!
>sometimes as accurately as any GPS.
>
>
>You could always call a warden
>or bio or even some
>of the park rangers that
>work that area and most
>of them will be very
>forthcoming with solid, accurate, and
>timely information...they want to see
>the herd numbers reduced!
>
>I know it's tough to wait
>for the snow fall but
>once it's here with some
>depth the buffalo will cross
>from the park into the
>refuge every 2-4 days until
>the season ends. With
>the longer season this year
>they're will be a higher
>than average harvest total, especially
>towards the end.

Good info. Backcountry, i'm headed up January 2nd, really looking forward to killing a wild Bison,and some great meat!

Best meat you will ever eat!!! Save every scrap of meat you won't regret it. My Son has a tag this year so we will see you on the hill.

January second is the day I killed mine. By that time of the season as long as there is some snow they'll be wanting on the refuge and will be crossing over every few days.

If you're going guided it SHOULD be a slam dunk.
If not just check they Kelly road daily. I'd drive it around 4-5 am and if the tracks cross the road the buff will be on the refuge. Just go early, follow the tracks (from the nearest legal parking area), and wait for the sun (legal shooting light).

They will attempt to get into the flats of the refuge from different areas but north gap is one of their favorites. Also in my experience they do occasionally cross in the afternoons but they get shot so quick they don't dont stay long, so if you're not in the right spot you'll miss your chance. Mornings are far better imho.

One last thing. Hodgman sells an over wader (cheap on Amazon) that are great for throwing over your normal hunting gear to cross the Gross Ventre River. They fit a bit funny but they kept me dry and I just threw them in my pack once I got accross

Good luck guys !

I killed one of the oldest cows taken last year and the meat is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! It's tender and juicy. I still have some but wish I had more!

Thanks guys for all of the info. since it's almost a once in a life time tag,and i'm 68, i decided to go guided with Tag N Drag. Seem like they are the most experienced. My son in law and i will be together comming from Idaho,and he wants to film the hunt. Should be fun.How much did that old heifer weigh,and how much meat did you get? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-14 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]I'm not sure on either weight but I can tell you that when she was down I got all my processing equipment laid out and attempted to get started. I "tried" to lift the hind leg up to start skinning and it only moved about 10 inches at the hoof end haha. I just chuckled to myself and immediately admitted defeat. I called Ralph and within a few minutes it was gutted and loaded whole in the back of my truck. Best $200 +/- I've ever spent!

A friend and I did cape the thing ourselves and that was no easy task. Using ropes and pulleys in my garage all we could really do was flip it from side to side.

As far as the meat goes you'll be surprised. For how big and heavy they are, they don't yeild as much meat as you would think...big heavy bones!
With all the processing done I very carefully managed to fit the whole thing minus one pack of ribs and the tenderloins (they got partially eaten that night and the rest went in the kitchen freezer) into a 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer.
Edit***the freezer was absolutely full and I threw a heavy truck tire on it for a while to make sure it was tightly closed.

It's so damned good! One of our favorites has been bison pastrami for Reuben's!

Edit** Simple olive oil, salt, pepper steaks (of any cut) cooked medium rare are second to none as well.

From what I heard still no cows, an occasional bull crossing over. Gorgeous time of year!

I am heading back with a buddy right before xmas - and again in Jan if required and if I think I can get on the refuge.

Cow Buff tracks are close to elk tracks. Best thing to do is find some buff in the park and wander over and check there tracks. The feces of Buff are comparable to beef.

This is all I saw on the forest.

9109bison_2014_009.jpg

JM77, Not only would I like to congratulate you on an awesome bull, but I'd like to comment on what must have taken super human strength to get that animal propped up for a great field photo!

We were up there this last weekend when the snow storm hit. The elk were migrating like crazy, but the bison were not on the refuge and they weren't even around Kelly like they always seem to be. We saw a big herd up by elk ranch. All the bison we saw were on the national park--nothing in the forest. We talked to a couple of cow bison hunters who were checking stuff out and they reported the same.

MT_Grizz.jpg

gnokes

I've actually tipped up a few big bulls and it's not too bad for three guys. I sure like the photo that way, but theres other angles that look good too!

Good luck hunting!
Jeff

>C'mon jm77, a buffalo and a
>dall sheep? I want details!
>:D

How do I do it? One is Wyoming, the other Alaska!

I mean details of the hunts, a short write up, especially that sheep. He looked like a real stud! Either way congrats on 2 great trophies!

>I mean details of the hunts,
>a short write up, especially
>that sheep. He looked like
>a real stud! Either way
>congrats on 2 great trophies!
>

Right, I meant what conference. I might do the Dall in the Sheep conference when I get a chance.
Jeff

Ohhh. You should write about em both in 1 post in the "sheep, goat, moose, antelope, etc forum". I'd say the buff fits the etc of that forum. Congrats again, both great trophies!

Just got word that my partners got two cow bison this morning. They are starting to move in, after the last week of storms.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-14 AT 07:50PM (MST)[p]Yes Don! All the elk and Bison are really coming down over the last week or so and many are now in the legal hunt areas. My buddy from Sheridan is going back from 12/16-12/19 to fill his tag with a big bull because they were still in the non-hunting areas for the most part on his first 5 day hunt over there. Neither of you should have any problems filling your tags when you get over there in a week or two the way it sounds right now. Good luck and kill a nice one!!!

A friend was hunting elk on the refuge earlier this week. They reported seeing about 400 bison there now.

>Good for you --77!
>
>Your Bull and Ram are great.
>
>
>congrats
>
>Robb

Thanks Robb, I had one those unforgettable years, for sure!

And a friend killed his cow bison on the refuge yesterday...

My wife killed her cow bison on the refuge Friday. Lot of bison, and it seemed everyone after bison tagged out. There were plenty of elk hunters, as well.
We followed the bison for some time, trying to find "the one", and finally settled on this very large cow with unique forward curving horns. Best of all, Gail dropped the bison within 40 yards of a retrieval road. We boned the bison on the spot, and used a small sled to slide the quarters and boned meat back to the truck.

Gail was very pleased with this bison, and we had an enjoyable hunt. She has tremendous luck drawing bison tags, as this is her third bison (2 cows and a bull).
They are having a very successful year for bison, with more bison killed by this time of the year then ever. It was also 40 degrees on the refuge Friday, making for a very pleasant "late" season hunt.
Bill

3883094.jpg

3236090.jpg

7849105.jpg

Awesome! Congrat's, unique buff

I am worried the snow will melt and they will leave? I have access 12/13 (Saturday) and so does a friend.

I am excited!

>My wife killed her cow bison
>on the refuge Friday. Lot
>of bison, and it seemed
>everyone after bison tagged out.
>There were plenty of elk
>hunters, as well.
>We followed the bison for some
>time, trying to find "the
>one", and finally settled on
>this very large cow with
>unique forward curving horns. Best
>of all, Gail dropped the
>bison within 40 yards of
>a retrieval road. We boned
>the bison on the spot,
>and used a small sled
>to slide the quarters and
>boned meat back to the
>truck.
>
>Gail was very pleased with this
>bison, and we had an
>enjoyable hunt. She has tremendous
>luck drawing bison tags, as
>this is her third bison
>(2 cows and a bull).
>
>They are having a very successful
>year for bison, with more
>bison killed by this time
>of the year then ever.
>It was also 40 degrees
>on the refuge Friday, making
>for a very pleasant "late"
>season hunt.
>Bill

Very cool looking cow! Tell her congrats!

I got my cow and my buddy got a calf - tons of bison on the refuge when we left. GREAT eating - steaks tough but flavor is fantastic.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom