Wy area 4

hornkiller

Long Time Member
seems like the sheep got hit pretty hard the last couple years!
Anybody been finding anything?

hornkiller.jpg

The only Wyoming ram I have heard of this year was Mr. Fudd's Area 5 ram.
I am getting real antsy to see some pictures of sheep. How about humoring us sheep junkies! Post up some pics guys!

Talked to the Cody biologist on Sat. Sept. 8th and he said they had checked in about 40 rams thru the Cody office. A little ahead of ave.

Stopped by one of the local taxidermists monday(24th) and he had 3 real nice 170 class rams dropped off. All 8-9 years old, big bases, 4/5th or better curl.

from the "heartland of Wyoming"

Kilbuc do you know if any of those rams were from 4 that was at the taxi?

How many of those rams the bio was talking about was from 4?

Been up there twice with my old man for a total of 12 days and it tuff to even find the sheep!

hornkiller.jpg

It sounded like sheep numbers were normal in 5 where I was when I relayed what I saw at the check in. I don't know why the next unit would be any worse off. I kind of hated to end my hunt so early, but couldn't pass. I did get over a month of hunting while seeing very few on my only other sheep hunt, so I know what that is all about. Good luck and just keep pounding. The harder you work, the sweeter it will be...

I took a ram in area 4, but that was 8 years ago and I was with an outfitter (Fritz Meyer out of Dubois). We saw quite a few rams on my hunt, but they were scattered in certain areas. I am told that 4 gets much more snow and winter kill than 5, but who knows what the problem might be. My guide sure knew where to look. He spotted every ram before I did and I pride myself at finding game.

Hornkiller.... the rams observed at taxiderm did not list the area killed. Looked at names but didn't recognise any. One was a woman tho.

Area 4 had a significant winter kill 2 years ago, thus the drop in permits issued this fall. They tend to winter in higher areas than area 5, especially on the west side of the area.

Talked to Fritz last year and he had several area 4 hunters and they had a hard time finding good rams. He also stated he knew of several resident hunters that knew the area and were good sheep hunters who failed to kill a ram in 2011. Thus the 60% success rate for 2011 where there is usually 80% plus.

Good luck, hang in there.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

i was on a sheep hunt last week in area 1 with a guy. all the rams are in the timber and makes it hard to fond them..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom