Wy antelope pics

W

west

Some lopes pics i took while out hunting this weekend. No real bruisers, but a couple next years.

Forgot to load the pics..sorry

48b31b0a5afc4f90.jpg

48b31b63121f7a79.jpg

48b31b7c131f7a79.jpg

48b31b9a13fa93f2.jpg

48b31bb7151cdff0.jpg

South of Jeffrey city. If you field judge the last buck i think he would score better then you would think at first glance. The picture doesn't do his cutters justice. I judged him to be between 79-82 based with a two inch black to black on the eye . He's only about 13 1/2 inches but his mass makes up for it. He will be my fall back if i can't connect with a couple of the ones that won't let their picture be taken

What exactly do you mean about the 2" on the black to black on the eye. and is there any other good measurement references like their ears or somthing like that?

Thanks

The actual black to black area you see on the eye when in the field. Not Just the eye itself. If you measure as many antelope mounts as you can you will find that all the black to black on the eyes come really close to 2". If i can get a good picture i will use that 2" to score the whole thing. The ears can vary from 5in to 7in in size. I will use them for a quick referance right before a shot, but always use the eyes if possible.

west, interesting way to measure that I had never heard of, which isn't saying much cuz I'm a newbie at lope scoring. Sorry for being thick but could you be a bit more specific on the area that makes up the 2" you are talking about, not sure I understand.

If you look at the eyes of antelope you will see a black ring going around the eye. When you see them from a distance the eye and the ring blend together. It is actually black skin and hair. If you measure from where the black starts on one side of the eye to where it ends on the other side of the eye you will almost always get 2in. Hope this clears it up. Looks at the close up pic at the end and compare it to the farther away shots at the top. You will see how that ring blends into the eye the farther away you get.

West is referencing a very well known antelope video by the Grimmetts called "Size does Matter". If you want to become a better judge of scoring antelope in the field you should get that video. It is a keeper for sure.

IB

Thanks IB, that's probably the 3rd time I've heard reference to that video. I will have to see if I can get ahold of it, unfortunately it may be too late for my trip this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom