WWII... kind of interesting

Yea, there is a lot of history there. Fascinating stuff. A few years ago I had the chance to explore Midway Island. Same thing, but no metal detector.

I have lots of respect for the greatest generation for doing what they did. To be able to hold a mess kit, or bayonet or whatever that saw duty in WWII, maybe save a life...would be an honor. I do have a machete my uncle gave me from Saipan. He never said what he did with it and I didn't ask.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Wow. Pretty harrowing. One of the great battles in military history, just looking through that grove of trees it looks like a sacred place.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I'd love to see it DM. Please do.

If my Dad was alive he'd like to see this video I'm sure. They came across a downed German fighter plane in the forest and he cut off a couple pieces of the wind screen and made a bayonet handle out of it. He brought it home.

3297015479408366837037618254034961462.jpg

6105815479408879587327688083552818150.jpg

Your right on that eel. That is the only thing I have from any of my grandparents . He was also a golden gloves champion bantamweight division. He never made much more than a modest living but he had more integrity than anyone and he never yelled at people.
I will hold on to it and pass it to one of my kids. I miss you Jack.

My great uncle Julian gave me this Hara Kiri knife that he pulled from a dead jap officer....
5242image.jpg

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

I wonder if any of that stuff could still be dangerous to be diggin up? All the stuff in this video was pretty well decayed. I wonder if a landmine could still blow?

Hasbean

Depending on some things it could be more unstable. Anything that can deflagrate or detonate would give me reason not to disturb it.
I would like a canteen. I like interesting antiques. I had a miners lamp I bought in Eureka Utah . It had the water reservoir and the bottom container held carbide. When the water dripped in it created acetylene gas to provide the ignition and the continuous flame. Someone stole it from my windowsill. Still pisses me off.

Dad brought home two Lugar pistols that he picked up when they liberated a concentration camp in Germany. When I was about 12 years old he traded both of them for a Stevens double barreled shotgun, and then later he sold the shotgun.

Hasbean, I saw another video where they found a land mine. The "authorities" came and blew it up, so I guess they still could be dangerous.

The pineapple grenade they found in this video was empty. It was common for the US soldiers to disarm them and use the powder to start warming fires because it was bitter cold that winter.

Eel, thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it. I thought it was well done, it showed the artifact and then showed how it was used.

My father and three of his brothers were in WW2 and there are very few artifacts in the family for a variety of reasons.

My father was a medic in the 345th Bomb Group in the pacific for two and a half years.

He said the Army came up with a program where you could ship captured Japanese rifles home. They just gave you the rifles but you had to pay five dollars for the shipping to send it home.

He said there was mainly two rifles. One was "about a .25 caliber" and the other one was "about a .30 caliber". With a little research I think these were an Arisaka Type 38 6.5 X 50mm and an Arisaka Type 99 7.7 X 58mm.

I asked him if he sent any home and he said no he didn't but some of the guys did. Then I made the mistake of asking him why he didn't and he responded "With all the Hell those !@#$%^ people caused me I don't want any !@#$%^ Jap rifles or anything else the !@#$%^ Japs make"

If you ever get to Europe the must see WWII sights you must see are the beaches of Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge Museum, The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen and tour at least one of the Concentration camps. Dachau still gives you chills up your spine and Auschwitz has an eerie feel from the moment you arrive.

There are so many more places but those IMO are must see if you are there.

Nemont

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.

>
>If you ever get to Europe
>the must see WWII sights
>you must see are the
>beaches of Normandy, the Battle
>of the Bulge Museum, The
>Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen and
>tour at least one of
>the Concentration camps. Dachau
>still gives you chills up
>your spine and Auschwitz has
>an eerie feel from the
>moment you arrive.
>
>There are so many more places
>but those IMO are must
>see if you are there.
>
>
>Nemont
>
>Government is like a baby. An
>alimentary canal with a big
>appetite at one end and
>no responsibility at the other.
>

My Dad was a welder and when he was in England during the build up to D Day, he was assigned the task of welding on the British Mulberry's, although at the time it was a secret and he had no idea what the purpose was. The Mulberry harbor is still visible today. My sister visited it a few years ago.

I killed my first deer at 12 years old with an Arisaka 99 that my uncle Julian sent home...then had rechambered to 300 savage....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

Eel when my Uncle died a few years ago he left me and my sister a Lugar from a dead officer and a 9mm that is stainless steel from a jap officer. Still have both of them the Japanese one serial number is 25333 so I came out at the first of the war.

my grandpa was in WWI, uncles in WWII, dad in Korean war. those are priceless treasures and they truly were the greatest generation.

>My Dad was a welder and
>when he was in England
>during the build up to
>D Day, he was assigned
>the task of welding on
>the British Mulberry's, although at
>the time it was a
>secret and he had no
>idea what the purpose was.
>The Mulberry harbor is still
>visible today. My sister visited
>it a few years ago.
>
>
>

If you stand on those cliffs over looking those beaches, you ask yourself, "how did they get those young men to run across that open beach under fire"? And they succeeded in getting enough men and equipment across to form a beach head.

Pointe du hoc where the Rangers scaled those cliffs on rope ladders while German's rolled grenades down on them is still a mystery to me how they managed to prevail.

I inherited my Grand Fathers Navy uniform when he was discharged after being the Hospital in Pearl Harbor after his wounds from the Kamikaze attack on his ship.

Nemont

As a kid, I used to love asking my dad about his time in WWII.
He was a lieutenant in the Navy and served in the Pacific Theater.
He sent many items back home, including some Japanese swords, daggers, Japanese Lugers, Thompson Sub-machine gun, etc. He got busted though trying to send back a .50 Caliber Browning. He also had lots of items from the European Theater. Four of his brothers also served in WWII. They were truly an amazing generation.

My dad hit the beech at Normandy but on the 2nd day. Was in Calvery Reconnicence, so had access to vehicles. When someone got injured and sent back to hospital or homr to US he sent stuff home. Had a whole trunk of items.

German rifle, 3 pistals, a Swastika, several german uniforms, a helmet, bayonets, linan, sterling silver and more.

These are all great stories and we owe the people who fought in WWII. I guess they were the greatest generation due to their upbringing during the depression and their resolve to fight a common enemy and defend the USA. I get that, and agree.

I'm also extremely proud of the soldiers of today. The ones who fought and are fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and wherever. They are no less brave or noble or dedicated. It's just different perceived circumstances. In some ways they even have it harder. WWII lasted roughly 5 years with a decisive victory and end. We're still in Afghanistan. I can't imagine the stress it puts on our soldiers. It's not their fault.

>These are all great stories and
>we owe the people who
>fought in WWII. I guess
>they were the greatest generation
>due to their upbringing during
>the depression and their resolve
>to fight a common enemy
>and defend the USA. I
>get that, and agree.
>
>I'm also extremely proud of the
>soldiers of today. The ones
>who fought and are fighting
>in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and
>wherever. They are no less
>brave or noble or dedicated.
>It's just different perceived circumstances.
>In some ways they even
>have it harder. WWII lasted
>roughly 5 years with a
>decisive victory and end. We're
>still in Afghanistan. I can't
>imagine the stress it puts
>on our soldiers. It's not
>their fault.

Eel is right. Kids (who serve(d)) of today are no less patriotic than us kids of the 60s-70s or the greatest generation, just differing circumstances....some better, some worse.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

DeerHunter53 wanted to share these photos of a Japanese pistol his uncle captured in the Pacific. Pretty rare I imagine. Thanks Mike!

71795img30281344.jpg

52694img30291346.jpg

96477img30301348.jpg

18865img30311350.jpg

78661img30321352.jpg

Nanja Homer, type 26 revolver. Nambu was an autoloader and the inspiration for Bill Ruger?s Standard, Mark I-IV.

Hasbean

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom