WWII era B-17 crashed today

7 dead....
My son and I flew on one when he was about 7....awesome....that one crashed and burned several years ago in Illinois cornfield....the Liberty Belle

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

This one from the Collins Foundation was here this summer. I was fishing in the bay in the kayak when it flew over. I hooked a halibut just as it got directly overhead. I was torn between the two....lol. I got the fish though.

>I love Juan Brown....
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Love?

Or Like?:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Love. I started listening to Juan Browne during the Oroville Dam thing. Then got hooked on the Flying Cowboys somehow. RIP Draco.

YouTube is my new TV.

Two weeks ago I went to Michigan and rode on the WW2 B-25 Yankee Warrior. It was part of the Yankee Air Museum.

I wanted to do this because my father served in the South Pacific during WW2 in the 345th bomb Group which was a B-25 group. The Group was having a reunion there and that's how I happened to be there.

They had the B-17 Yankee Lady there but weren't offering rides on it the day I was there.

Should a person do this? Not sure but they seemed to have a pretty good safety record. (I still want to ride on a B-17 because I had an uncle that was a ball turret gunner on one flying over Germany.)

>Two weeks ago I went to
>Michigan and rode on the
>WW2 B-25 Yankee Warrior. It
>was part of the Yankee
>Air Museum.
>
>I wanted to do this because
>my father served in the
>South Pacific during WW2 in
>the 345th bomb Group which
>was a B-25 group. The
>Group was having a reunion
>there and that's how I
>happened to be there.
>
>They had the B-17 Yankee Lady
>there but weren't offering rides
>on it the day I
>was there.
>
>Should a person do this? Not
>sure but they seemed to
>have a pretty good safety
>record. (I still want to
>ride on a B-17 because
>I had an uncle that
>was a ball turret gunner
>on one flying over Germany.)
>

do it WVHUNTER.....the only positions we couldn't move to was the ball turret and the tail gunner.....too dangerous maneuvering to them....tells you what the guys that did it in real life were up against..

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yes, I think we should all take a ride if given the chance.(and the $450). The original crews flew, knowing the odds were against them many times. My uncle flew 33 missions in a B-24 as a turret gunner. He had short legs like me.

Very unfortunate, my 9 yr old was devastated, world war 2 era is his passion .
His dream is to fly on one , he can tell you every part, gun and control, and he loves to visit the parked one at HAFB .

FZFpUkE.jpg

dhe9bA5.jpg

A couple more photos. One is of the top turret gunner position. That bicycle seat was on a hinge so the gunner crawled up in there and flipped the seat up behind him and sat on the bicycle seat.

The other photo shows the bomb-bay. To get from the rear of the plane to the front of the plane you had to crawl over the bomb-bay. There wasn't enough space to get on your knees so you had to lay flat and pull yourself along.

>>Two weeks ago I went to
>>Michigan and rode on the
>>WW2 B-25 Yankee Warrior. It
>>was part of the Yankee
>>Air Museum.
>>
>>I wanted to do this because
>>my father served in the
>>South Pacific during WW2 in
>>the 345th bomb Group which
>>was a B-25 group. The
>>Group was having a reunion
>>there and that's how I
>>happened to be there.
>>
>>They had the B-17 Yankee Lady
>>there but weren't offering rides
>>on it the day I
>>was there.
>>
>>Should a person do this? Not
>>sure but they seemed to
>>have a pretty good safety
>>record. (I still want to
>>ride on a B-17 because
>>I had an uncle that
>>was a ball turret gunner
>>on one flying over Germany.)
>>
>
>do it WVHUNTER.....the only positions we
>couldn't move to was the
>ball turret and the tail
>gunner.....too dangerous maneuvering to them....tells
>you what the guys that
>did it in real life
>were up against..
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

It's always sad when they lose one of these bombers so much history with every plane is lost.
My Dad was a midship gunner on a B-17 in WW2 464th H Bomber Group 777th Squadron. His plane went down on a bombing raid over the oil fields in Romania on D-Day. All made it out of plane except nose gunner that was killed in his turret from enemy fighter fire. My dad was a POW in Bucharest Romania for 4 months until they were all liberated in Sept 44. As other WW2 vets he never talked about it, after doing a lot of research into his Bomber Group and reading MAC reports I can now understand why he never talked about it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to see a plane disintegrate in mid air with a crew of soldiers that you based with? He did kinda open up a little to my brother and I about 3 months before he died and I have been able to research his history in WW2 even found the POW camp buildings that are still standing with google earth.

Spectacular photos WVHUNTER. That must have been quite an experience. I've crawled through the B-17 and the B-24. The B-24 pilot signed the back of a photo I have of my uncle and his crew in front of their B-24.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom