WTH am I seeing?

brutus54

OK it’s that time of year that my mind starts to wander. I was thinking today about something that happened to me back in the late 70s when I was deer hunting down above Richfield Utah. That made me go WTH am I seeing? Shortly after It got light opening day I could hear people talking. And one sounded like it was on a speaker. So I start glassing around the canyon where the talking was coming from. And I finally see this guy walking on the opposite hillside a few hundred yards away. And to my amazement he had a war surplus two way radio on his back the size of a suitcase with a great big whip antenna on it. And he was communicating with somebody else with another radio. WTH am I seeing I said to myself as I turned around and started climbing out of the canyon looking for someplace else to hunt. Because obviously the deer got the hell out of that one. Anybody else have any crazy stories past or present you’d like to share. To this day I can’t imagine what that guy and his friend were thinking. And he did have a rifle on his shoulder so he was actually hunting. And I guess it is possible that was his plan. To push all the deer out of the canyon to his waiting friend’s I don’t know?

It's been many years ago but I was blacktail hunting on Forest Service land and I was driving (road hunting) down a back road in the pouring down rain. I came around a corner and there was a long haired guy, completely naked, sitting in a mud puddle in the road. He saw me and ran into the woods. I kept going, and I never did see a vehicle within miles of where we were. It was something you can never unsee.

It was the late 80s. I was working at UPS, a feeder driver from Ogden talked a couple of us guys in the going archery deer hunting down by Scipio.

I was shocked at all the people driving around in pickups with benches in the back. Some of them had double benches with 6 to 8 people. It would look like one of them old roman movies when they saw a deer. I spent more time sitting on the hill watching them than hunting. There was a lot of deer.

More than 20 years ago now, I happened upon a truck w/ two hunters in it w/California plates. They were hunting in the Ruby Mts. out in the Soldier Creek area, and had parked their truck close by a cattle guard and a standard deer silhouette sign. I suppose that was ok, but they had apparently gone to great lengths to turn the vehicle into a blind by gathering sagebrush to try and conceal it! I always wondered if their hunt and efforts were successful!

In the mid 90’s we were on a deer hunt out in the middle of the wilderness and a couple of days before the hunt started we were out cutting and gathering firewood when we rounded a curve in Sawset Canyon and had about 20 turkeys cross the road in front of us, the last bird trailing was a male peacock. He stuck out like a sore thumb. We got back to camp and told the rest of the guys what had transpired and they thought we must have started drinking early. We seen him again running with turkeys the very next year. You just never know….

When I first moved to AZ back in 85, I managed to get a deer license in 6A. I knew next to nothing about the state or unit, just picked a place I spent some time seeing deer in. Day one of hunt, I found myself the only person not hunting from a vehicle. Every two-track had a truck on it. Then, like Iddogguy, I saw an old Blazer with the top sawed off and a mounted swivel seat in it, manned by some dude with a black rifle. Later that day, I heard fully automatic gunfire in the distance. WTH?

As the years progressed, I did find much better AZ places to hunt!

Early 80s, two of us fishing Lake Pleasant in AZ. Pulled my Ranger into the gateway of a cove & began working the shoreline, using the trolling motor. As we moved around a little point, we spotted a naked couple on a blanket doing the dirty. They continued on & never even acknowledged our presence. Later I told my fishing partner that we should have applauded to get their attention.

Early 80s, two of us fishing Lake Pleasant in AZ. Pulled my Ranger into the gateway of a cove & began working the shoreline, using the trolling motor. As we moved around a little point, we spotted a naked couple on a blanket doing the dirty. They continued on & never even acknowledged our presence. Later I told my fishing partner that we should have applauded to get their attention.
I was taking part in a SAR exercise near Fresno in the 90s. Most of the exercise was to practice jumping out of the Huey into not so warm water, but, it wasn't that bad.

We had our swim gear and a couple guys brought scuba gear. One night after ops we were sitting around the campfire and noticed a boat pull up about a quarter mile away and drop anchor. And turn off the lights. So, a buddy and I swam/snuck out to just to observe. It was a moonless night and pretty dark. As we got closer, we realized that a couple was getting busy on the boat. My buddy said 'wait here and don't make a sound.. He swam up to the boat and grabbed the girls foot (it was dangling in the water) without saying a word.

There was cussing and screaming coming from the boat as they pulled anchor and left.

I was taking part in a SAR exercise near Fresno in the 90s. Most of the exercise was to practice jumping out of the Huey into not so warm water, but, it wasn't that bad.

We had our swim gear and a couple guys brought scuba gear. One night after ops we were sitting around the campfire and noticed a boat pull up about a quarter mile away and drop anchor. And turn off the lights. So, a buddy and I swam/snuck out to just to observe. It was a moonless night and pretty dark. As we got closer, we realized that a couple was getting busy on the boat. My buddy said 'wait here and don't make a sound.. He swam up to the boat and grabbed the girls foot (it was dangling in the water) without saying a word.

There was cussing and screaming coming from the boat as they pulled anchor and left.
I probably could have provoked a similar reaction. The guy was on top in standard missionary. I was near enough for a cast to drop a plastic worm on his butt. It just would have been cruel to disrupt the rapture. :rolleyes:

It's been many years ago but I was blacktail hunting on Forest Service land and I was driving (road hunting) down a back road in the pouring down rain. I came around a corner and there was a long haired guy, completely naked, sitting in a mud puddle in the road. He saw me and ran into the woods. I kept going, and I never did see a vehicle within miles of where we were. It was something you can never unsee.
Raised by wolves I suppose LOL but up in those woods you are likely to see anything...... Seen a few weirdo's driving into the Cove late at night as well....

I found a forest full of dicks on my elk hunt last year.

5E420705-419C-4FB0-9C6B-764AFB810EFE.jpeg

A4A1DA91-D5BE-4A11-8365-DFB796392829.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom