Worst Flinch Ever!

F

Family Man (Guest)

I couldn't believe it when it happened. My five-year-old son got a cap gun rifle for Christmas. I was illustrating to him how to shoulder the gun and squeeze the trigger. As I squeezed off a shot on the cap gun I FLINCHED. Can it be that I have developed this bad of a flinch and didn't even know it. The caps weren't even loaded!!!!!!!

F-Man: Ignore those rude posts. If you shoot much, and if you're honest with yourself (many hunters have a problem with that second part) you'll know if you have a flinching problem. The obvious solution is practice. Even dry firing in your family room helps - though its not as fun as the real thing. Just make sure you have the focus and confidence to know you can hit that buck before you pull the trigger.

F-man,
If you do flinch go buy a 22 rifle with a scope and put 1000 rounds through it....It's a cheap and fun way to fix the problem...Then when your son is a little bigger you can give it to him....If you start him on a 22 he will be a better rifle shot because of it....

I am very prone to a flinch. I won't shoot a big gun, bench or otherwise I own a 308 wichester and shoot light bullets in it to boot. Let's just say some of us are more sensitive, or more honest. I was a poor goalie in hockey and ain't a great shot if the gun's gonna bite me, I can shoot a mild round very well. Too much practice with an abusive gun well only make things worse. Shooting a 22 is a great idea. Perhaps your hunting gun is abusive and could be reconsidered? FWIW

Go buy you a 460 Weatherby magnum,shoot it twice,sell it,buy you a ladies gun and you'll never flinch again!
You only think your flinching,I can't wait to see you jerk this 460!
After the first shot,check for a Blue shoulder,if it ain't blue keep shooting till it is!
You even flinch harder after your wife finds out these shells cost 100.00 a box!

bcb

Thanks to those of you who tried to offer positive feedback. I had thought of the .22 idea also and will consider getting one this spring.

The thing to be learned here, I think, is that a flinch can be entirely psychological. Obviously my body wasn?t reacting to anticipated recoil. My mind reacted to my body position and the fact that my trigger finger was beginning a squeeze and told my shoulder to flinch. A conditioned response that I will have to work hard to reverse. I just wonder how many others out there might be in the same condition and, like me, not even know it.

Best wishes,

Mark

FWIW,

Some of the worst flinching I have ever seen was from a buddy shooting a mild .270 load. It wasn't the recoil that caused him to flinch...he wasn't wearing any ear protection. Typically, a person can reduce their flinching problem a lot by reducing the amount of blast and noise. You can do that by shooting a "milder" round (ie 22lr, etc) or you can use better ear protection. I would recommend that you ALWAYS wear ear protection if shooting at the range or just plinking. The only time I don't wear ear plugs is when I am actually hunting.

That is my $.02 worth. Good Luck! FH

Hey Worst Flinch Ever,
Maybe you are way too used to shooting your gun out the window of the truck. Good luck next year.

PS. Make sure you always roll the window down first.

Firehawk has noted the cause and the solution to most flinching conditions. It really is the muzzle blast and the "concussion effect" that does the shooter in. Purchase a quality pair of shooter's earmuffs and double the protection with one of the litte; ear plugs under the muff and your flinching problems will soon be under control. Wearing one of the PAST recoil shields products is an excellent idea as well.
Good Luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom