Work preference??

never_catch

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 02:12AM (MST)[p]I'd like some insight and your opinions on which you prefer and why...working in teams or working individually??

I bring this up because I'm currently in school...in every class I have individual assignments and team assignments. 30% of student grades are based on team papers and presentations and 70% is on individual. The first year of school I had pretty easy classes and working with teams was a breeze but since the classes are getting more and more difficult, so is working with teams!! I understand the power of diversity in the workplace and the importance of working with teams but GOOD GAWD, my grades are starting to suffer because of other people and I'm not cool with it!!

Example...tonight is my final night for the current class I'm in and our team assignment is to use a 9 step problem solving method (the 9 step method we've been studying for 5 damn weeks now!!) to address an issue in business. It's to be a 20-30 minute powerpoint presentation. My team is set on covering a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with an issue in business, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THE ASSIGNMENT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AND WHAT WE'LL BE GRADED ON (oh yea this is our FINAL!!) The powerpoint slides my team has submitted don't follow the 9 step method whatsoever!! So I take the liberty of making a 15 page powerpoint slide, that not only looks 1000 times better, but actually covers the assignment to a frickin T!! It's complete and concise and everyone on my team thinks I'm out of my damn mind for trying to change topics this close to the presentation...AM I CRAZY?? They don't have to do chit other than read what's on the screen and fill in with some bs which I've made incredibly easy to do!!

I prefer working by myself...unless I'm working with a team with a common goal!!

~Z~

I've got a between 12 and 25 men and women working with/for me at all times. I get to complete some task by myself but for the most part its a team effort. The old saying that you are only as good as your weakest member is very true. Choose your team wisely. Later Baker

Although College/University resembles about 10% of "real life" work experience, the team concept is not a bad idea. You must learn to work with ALL types of personalities. Whether they are good, bad, lazy....etc., you will learn from all of them.

If you ever own or manage a business, you will find that the biggest challenge is dealing with personalities.... That is just my opinion..

elkhunter49, if I woulda been able to pick which team I was on in this class. it would have been the team with the only hot chick in the class ;-) unfortunately I didn't know anyone in this class so the instructor just threw me in one...the wrong one lol!!

woodruffhunter, I agree it's a great concept and that what I'm experiencing is almost nothing like a real life work environment. I think I'm just pissed because I figure if people have made it this far through school, they should be able to understand the importance of completing an assignment correctly ya know...

~Z~

Z, I feel for ya? I have been an individual that prefers to work alone thrown on many teams and have experienced the very same things you are right now. And I am in a real working environment. My problem is that for the most part I have always worked as an individual even in sports. I was a wrestler, heck I still coach it. It is both teaming and individual but when it comes right down to it, in that sport it is only as good as YOU are. But real life in the work force does not work that way. If you fight the teaming you will get left behind, even if their going down the wrong track. I have had to force myself to stay with it and try to persuade the team to look at things from different point of view. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Problem is we usually get stuck with whatever came out of the plan as a team, such as in your case, it will be your grade. That's stinks but that's life in the real work force world as we know it today. Try having your team come up with something that you disagree with, but because it's a group effort whatever idea they come up with gets implemented and you're stuck with it. What ticks me off is when it doesn't work and management tells you... well,it was your team that came up with it. Get bent up about as much as you want, it won't do any good so now I just fold up like a cheap tent until I see something that I might actually have some influence with. Not that Im giving up, just that im picking my battels a little better so I survive.

GBA

Too simple.....Arrange a meeting with your instructor, prior to the due date of the presentation.

Discuss your concern, and show him that you have prepared "plan B", which your team finds unacceptable.

Be sure he understands that you ARE into the team concept and will go along with what the TEAM has prepared, but you do not think it follows the assignment.

Be 100% prepared, to show him why you believe your plan is better.

Worst case scenario, you come off as a whiney, snivveling, little beotch.

Best case.....extra credit and a presentation, that lets him KNOW you were in step with his program, even if your team was not.

College profesors have HUGE egos and you have to play to that fact. Doing precisely what he requires, is the key to getting out of there with his ego fattened.

They don't call it "The Paper Chase" for no reason......it IS a game and you better know the rules and learn "play to the officials".

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I'm going to chime in with some of what Nickman says.

I worked at USC for several years and dealt with professors on a daily basis from universities all over the U.S. as well as about 80 foreign colleges and as he stated their egos get the best of them. Truth be known the foreign professors were much better to work with.

Is your professor approachable? or do you have to go through the TA? Many professors and I mean a lot of them do not feel they should be bothered with problems they feel are beneath them and they expect the TA to deal with those issues.

I understand your frustration and hope it works out but given the fact that tonight is your final you may not have time.

Nickman beat me to it. What he said......

F@ck those other teammates and throw them under the bus. If they want to go down that's fine but showing your instructor what you've created BY YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU FELT THE TEAM ISN'T ON COURSE is what a leader does. From the get go, why didn't you tell your team that the presentation that was chosen has nothing to do with the assignment. Why are you just bringing this to MM now? LOL!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

What is the meaning of this word you speak of... "work"?

[Font][Font color = "green"]Here's my
signature. It's green so no one will think I am
actually saying something related to this post.
[font/]

Team or individual??

It all depends on who your teammates are Z...and that sounds like it might be unfortunate in your case at this point!

Good luck!

Long story short...a lot has changed since I posted this!! Maybe my teammates are MMers and I didn't know it lol?? Well I have the majority onboard with my new presentation and topic, and in our team charter we have this type of potential problem addressed...majority wins!! :D

Side note...I just took my online final and that sob was tough!! I didn't get quite as high of a score as I'd hoped for but I didn't completely blow it either so that's cool!! Several questions were worded weird as hell, I know I knew the answers on a few of them but didn't know how to answer because of how it was worded so I got em wrong...that's frustrating!!

~Z~

I think the advise the Nickman gives you is really good stuff. Just don't try that in the real world called "work" in any kind of big company. You WILL be seen as a non team player even if your team is wrong. It is about teaming and the employer is only going to listen to teaming.

Anyone who thinks different needs to go to work for companies like Honeywell, GE, Boeing, etc. etc.. and see how far it will get you. I've been as near to getting fired for not being a team player as it gets. Like I mentioned before I learned to pick my battles and I learned how to fold like a cheap tent when I needed to, even when the team was wrong.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

GBA

I hate group assignments, and I really don't like to depend on others in class for grades. I do however love to study in a group for tests and stuff. It's easier for me if I'm forced to study, or teach others different concepts, and there may be easier ways that others do things that can help me out.

I think it goes right back to what you mentioned. It all goes back to your team charter. You should have drafted it as a team, and it is a binding contract that you all agree on.

The one thing I would add is to make sure you have a clear way of how to address and resolve disagreements in your charter. Then make sure that everything you do is well documented. Take notes of meetings, save copies of emails if you suggest a different way, etc. One thing to live by in a group setting is that if it is not documented (Written down) then it can be argued that is never happened.

Even the smallest things I have written down has saved my butt when it came to my individual grade on team assignments. I only involve the teacher when the team charter has been violated and have done my due diligence to follow what we established in the charter. I have had incidents where we have kicked someone out of the group, because we had it in the charter and the kid didn't pull his weight. He failed the class, and the teacher was cool with what we did because we had all drafted and agreed on the charter.

Sorry that is long winded, but I work hard for my grades and I refuse to let another idiot bring me down for their actions.

Sounds like you need to work on your "selling" skills...

Don't try and cram it down your teams throat, they will always respond with vomit when you do.

Instead, "sell" them on why your idea will get them a higher grade.

Sometimes it is not possible to get all members of a team rowing the same direction. i.e. - some just don't have the horsepower & never will. In the real world you can fire the underperformer & rehire a better one. You're stuck with what you got, so figure it out!

Might be a good idea to email your professor your presentation prior to the teams presentation with an explanation why your team is using "the other one". This is called sucking up to the boss on the steets... haha!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-11 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys!! I'll definitely use a bunch of it moving forward!!

Well we got 14 out of 15 possible points on the final presentation with my new powerpoint and topic...not bad for a last minute change in plans!! Class over, time to go hunting!! :D

~Z~

Hey Z! Even as good as Kobe is he still needs some supporting cast (even if they suck!). No matter how much the Lakers play together they still suck!:)

It's always an adventure!!!

WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is that anyway?

Back when I was working I prefered to be alone so I could get the job done and move on to something else or hide out till quiting time...LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom