Work for the Warden!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I live within ear shot of the bay here in Kali. I was out getting in some firewood this morning and the goose hunters started shooting 25 minutes before legal shooting time! About 10 shots in one barrage! Dang!

Write em' up!

Eel

Scheduled shooting hours for waterfowl are a lot like the speedlimit.... just a suggestion. lol

Zeke

>Zeke, yeah I guess it's just
>a rough guideline:)
>
>Eel

Yep, some yahoos think it's just a guideline and doesn't apply to them. I've been messed up too many times to even count by guys shooting waterfowl early!
Some jerks will do anything they want, until they get caught.
Same crappy thing as illegal quad use... like Bess rightfully biotches about.
Zeke

>What is the purpose of the
>shooting times?

To Write Tickets,Duh!:D

Been probably 20 Years ago!

Hot Damn!

Gonna go to Farmington Bay with My Uncle & Family Members!

T'was the First year you could only Shoot the Green Head Mallard,Can't shoot the Hens!

Ya,We were Early!

Season didn't open till 7:00 AM or was it 8:00 AM Can't remember for sure?

Anyways,Happens every year,Some TARD Caps a Round off 30 minutes before Legal Shooting Hours!

BOOM!

Sounded like World War III!

Nothin but a ROAR!

Thousands of Hunters Shooting Thousands of Quackers before legal time!

While a couple of UN-LUCKY Hunters are getting Citations!

The DWR had no control,or very little control on that Crowd!

Anyways,We wait for legal time!

By this time everything is dead or spooked clear out!

Here comes a few Mallards!

I shoot the GreenHead!

As it was falling two other Quacker Hunters Pound my bird a few times!

Then several people run to Claim it!

I Hear:

It's Mine!

It's Mine!

I stand there in Disbelief thinking:Yup,it's yours!:D

Wardens don't even Scratch the Problem when it comes to opening morning of Quacker Season!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

How about Sunday eve last day of the pheasant hunt. Took the ole hunting girl Clamity Jane (German Shorthair)out for probably her last hunt 13 yrs of good times. She is only good for about 100 -200 yards and that is enough. I am thinking sure would be nice to get her one more bird. She still loves to go. It has been pretty slim pickings over the last few years. There has always been a few birds in the catails if ya work for them. I am thinking maybe we will get lucky.
By the time I get to the spot I picked there was only 20 minutes of shooting time left. I checked the proc. We were able to hunt right out of the truck. Years past the birds would come up out of the catails to roost in a group of trees we were going to hunt.
We are working along and I decide to check the time. Six minutes left. We went about 10 more yards and I was going to turn around when Clamity goes on point.
I work in close and I'll be if a Mallard didn't flush. SOB this one is for Clamity and I let her have it. I don't shoot many ducks but from time to time I will take one. Well the duck hits the deck. And just like clock work Clamity has the bird and is sitting by my side. I notice it has a band. I check my clock and about 2 minutes of shooting time left. I take one more look at the bird and I'll be a SOB if it don't have 2 bands. That bird is going on my fireplace for all the good years by a good dog. A first for myself and her.
I was pretty excited but what made me post this. I was watching the time really close. And long after I returned to the truck they were still banging away way long after shooting hours.

Rutnbuck

No Run-Ins with the Warden that time huh Rut?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Rut you make sure that dog gets a good steak dinner. She really produced to please you.

Eel, that early barrage you heard was probably Cupsy out there blasting your geese you planned to hunt. You know how those central valley farmers are when it comes to obeying the shooting time laws.

RELH

Neat story Rut!! Nice!!

Aside from opening morning, there are usually only a few guys out hunting duck and geese spots this side of our local lake. There also is a Game Warden living in town that, like the rest of us, hears every shot fired. The "uninformed" may start shooting early or late but they soon learn that it doesn't pay in the long run.

The rules and laws are there for the benefit of the game animals...not us!! :)

Me? Yes, i have shot both too early and too late but never got a ticket for it. That was many years ago...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I hunt brant down in Morro Bay and due to the controversy of hunting on the bay we don't dare shoot any earlier than legally allowed, which is 7 am. Many times we have birds sitting in our dekes when shoot time starts. We use our cell phones for a clock and if it doesn't say 7 am we DON'T SHOOT!

Here's a photo of what we have to deal with when the weather is good. They proceeded to park their boards about 75 yards from my blind. They were so clueless!

65502013-11-10_10.45.03.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-13 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]lol, Boards? what the heck is that, a surfboard that they hunt off of? lol, Never heard of such a thing!!

edit; Eel, anybody, what are those things and how's a guy hunt off them?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-13 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]Joey, I don't think those are hunters, just some clueless boarders out for a stroll. Or maybe anti-hunters?

Good looking decoys Bwht4x4. Did you make them?

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-13 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-13 AT 10:50?PM (MST)

Those folks riding Stand Up Paddleboards. Not hunters at all. The non-hunters don't bother me usually, but there are times where it gets to be too much. Pray for wind or rain or cold to keep them off the bay!

Starting this year all of our decoys are full size brant decoys and not a mish-mash of misc decoys painted to look like brant. The shells on the beach are snow goose decoys hand painted to look like brant. The only issue with them is the paint doesn't stick to the plastic all that well.

We're running around 55 decoys this year and it's working pretty well. The big groups of brant haven't shown up this year, which is odd. I took a look today and there only seems to be around 300-500 birds on the bay. In past years there'd be 1000 birds here already. I've been at it for about 5 years now and have it wired pretty well. It takes time to learn the tides and to know when it's time to leave. If you fail to get out at the right time you are stuck for the next tide change and that can be a 4-6 hour wait. Fortunately we have never gotten stuck by a lowering tide yet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom