WOOD LATHE ACCIDENTS GOT ANY???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
When We were in High School!

We all had to Build a Billy Club on the Big Dinosaur Wood Lathe!

(((Big SOB!)))

My Turn came around & nobody ever showed me how to use the proper Tools & Proper Angles to use them!

I Chucked a Rough 4" X 4" Cedar 4' Long!

Tightened the Rest with a F'N Cheater!

(((Didn't want it coming Loose!)))

Turn the Beast on!

Grabbed the Tool I thought looked Best!

Only took a Second for that SOB to Grab & Pulled My thumb down in between the Rest & the Rough 4" X 4"!

Blood & Meat Flying!

The two Guys watching me took off Running!

I Tried to Loosen the Rest!

But with one Hand I couldn't Break it loose after using a Cheater to Tighten it!

Do You know how Long it takes a Big Lathe to Quit Spinning after you shut it off?

The Slower it got the Harder it was hitting what was left of my Thumb!

SOB Hurt!

Thought it was gonna Rip it off!

Finally!

Finally!

After what seemed like forever She Quit Turning!

De-Meated clear to the Bone!

Coulda been worse I Guess!

Any of you got any Power Tool Stories?

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

Didn't watch yer video, could visualize somebody losein an arm. Kid a few grades behind me got his hand sucked into the jointer. Ended up lookin a little like Strahans hand after it healed up.

A couple years ago I pinned back the guard on a skilsaw. My first thought was "now don't set the blade on your leg when your done with the cut". Guess my dumbass wasn't listening to myself because 10 seconds later I had a hole in my thigh that my fist would fit in. Took the ER Dr. an hour and 80 or so stitches to sew back in the pieces that he didn't just chop out with his scissors and throw in a tub.

I was walking by the P.E.T. (precision end trim saw) minding my own business at the sawmill one day. I noticed a big pile of trim stacked up in the conveyor and the belt not running. I thought the operator had shut the belt off because it was plugged up. I was wrong.:)

Being the good employee that I was, I reached in to unplug the mess. It was plugged so tight that the drum was turning but the belt was slipping. I grabbed a piece and pulled. That freed the belt up which sucked in the piece I was holding. It got wedged between the belt and a steel support, only my hand was in between.

I yelled at the operator to shut the belt off. Too late. When he did I pulled free and the little finger of my glove was missing. I took my glove off and so was my little finger.

As long as it wasn't my trigger finger, I'm good. :)

Cow cakes. If you were raised on a farm, you probably know what they are.

I was 18, not quite in the Navy and working at a feed mill. My job was to unload boxcars full of sacked dog foor, seed, horse feed, and whatever else came in that day.

We had this guy named Eddie who worked at a machine that was used to chop up the big cow cakes (about 3-4 inches long and maybe an inch or so across. They were made of compressed alfalfa.

Anyway, Eddies job was to put the big cow cakes into this machine that would grind them up. Then we would take the ground up stuff and run it through a mill (add some moisture) and press it into little pellets you could feed to rabbits or chickens.

The machine jammed and instead of shutting it off, Eddie used a broom handle to unjam it. He got a little too close to the end of the broom handle and it sucked his hand into the chopper. He got to keep his thumb and index finger on his right hand. His other fingers ended up in some chicken gullet somewhere.

I learned a very valuable lesson that day when working around power machinery.

PTO'S have allways been deadly before they were required to have covers,I have known Farmers that have bailed his son while doing hay and another farmer who got a worker in harvestor while doing corn both of those were deadly.

Too many to count. I did learn from guys with missing fingers & I still have mine.
Used to turn.Legs & bowls til I had enough of burl bowls blowing up.
I always had my guard pinned on my framing saw,on the old heavy Skil.Damn thing would always bind & was dangerous.
My new Bosch is very light and & guard is never pinned.
Older & smarter now.
Was finish sizing frame pieces for cabinets on my 3 hp shaper once and very tired trying to get done for day.
I slipped & planed my left middle finger down in an instant to
not much from bone...I looked just as the blood poured out.I bandaged it& it stopped bleeding by the morning but was so sensitive to touch for years.
I have had chisels slip & buried one to the bone at base of my left thumb.Took 20 stitches...I let the Doc do that...lol.Hands fine but I still have a long white scar.

We had a kid in shop class remove the guard on table saw and then cut off multiple fingers, 3 1/2 I think. Finger pieces flew all over. Had to peel them off another guys back, pickup off floor. He was brought into shop office to wait for emergency. Teacher, asked you need anything. His reply was a BIG dip, Big A (teacher) gave him a dip from his own tin and then he immediately passed out.
None of the fingers were saved.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

There was the poor Mexican farm worker in Malta, Idaho that got tangled up in a post hole digger attached to a tractor PTO. He ended up losing both arms and one leg.

Well my latest opps was building a knife. I was finished and I took off the protective wrap to polish the blade. The buffing wheel grabbed the knife and threw it away from me. But it bounced back and got me. I was lucky it didn't stick me. I blocked it with my hand but I was going to need stitches. I called my son who is an EMT and he put a couple in for me.

Idaho%20Knife%20Blue%206_zps1mvgcks0.jpg

Idaho%20Knife%20Blue%207_zpspz3dvqgw.jpg

Idaho%20Knife%20Blue%209%20small_zps7aeauhlp.jpg

Idaho%20Knife%20Blue%2012%20small_zps6eqqdqxp.jpg

Idaho%20Knife%20Blue%2014%20small_zps4ociyams.jpg

Ok I will add but it was my friend in Washington. We were making Pinewood Derby Cars for a race and we were at his Dad's Cabinet shop. He got about 1/3 of a finger removed by a Planer. He just said "Oh Shite" and wrapped it up. No Emergency visit. Blood everywhere and his wife was horrified.
I was amazed he didn't see a Dr.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-16 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p]>Ok I will add but it
>was my friend in Washington.
>We were making Pinewood Derby
>Cars for a race and
>we were at his Dad's
>Cabinet shop. He got about
>1/3 of a finger removed
>by a Planer. He just
>said "Oh Shite" and wrapped
>it up. No Emergency visit.
>Blood everywhere and his wife
>was horrified.
>I was amazed he didn't see
>a Dr.

When it's in 1/8 in slivers there ain't much they can do for ya. My kinda guy! Pull that nail outta yer hand and get back to work!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-16 AT 10:24PM (MST)[p]Seen two guys in a machine shop die and meat peeled to the bone from elbow to wrist...
bone

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom