wolves in utah rumors

Robiland

Very Active Member
So a friend of mine said while out hunting deer on the Nebo unit in Utah, claim they saw 2 wolves.

Another guy claimed he saw wolves up diamond fork in Utah while deer hunting. Claimed they called the DWR and they said " yeah, they are just passing through".

True or not, that makes me worried. Any others heard of this or seen them out hunting? They both claimed way to big for cyotes. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

Just shoot those big ole coyotes far enough back that you can't find them. Then don't tell anyone how bad a shot you are.

Heard of one in payson cny last year just shoot and drive away!

hornkiller.jpg

I saw what I thought was a wolf in diamond fork a few years ago. A buddy of mine and his dad shot one in diamond fork the same winter. They never found it, they followed blood but never turned up the dog.
There was supposedly a guy that turned some hybrid dogs loose up there that same year. The dwr and sherrifs dept was looking into it but I never heard anymore about it.
About 7 years ago I shot at and missed a couple pups with a female on the South Slope. They aren't just "passing through"!

Traditional >>>------->

I am a scout leader. Last year for summer camping, we decided to take a week trip in the Uintas. We were to go above Moon Lake. We called the forest service and dwr to ask if there had been trouble/sightings of bears. They told us not to worry as much about the bears. WHAT???????

YEP, said to worry about the wolves. To bring some type of " bear spray" aka gun.

We never had any issues thank goodness.

I'm sure it was just a coyote but driving home today I saw a dog that I thought seemed kind of big based on the distance between him and I. This was just south of the Santaquin WMA. Just thought I would add to the rumors which I have no doubt about on.

The DNR has had some come through and not stay long is what I was told. My knowledge of wolves and that each pack has only one breeding pair leads me to think that they are dispersing males for the most part. There are wolves in Utah.

A buddy and I were up franklin Basin in Logan, Canyon and we had a pack of about 5 or 6 howl about 100 yrds over the hill from us during the rifle spike elk hunt.

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot it the last day

Be smart about this one guys..... If they say there are no wolves in ut, .... We can't get in trouble for shooting them. Maybe the dwr is doing this on purpose.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I have a picture of a track with a 3" 12 gauge shell easily fitting inside it. Pic was taken on Teat mtn between sheep creek and diamond fork last month. Also one from this past 4th of July taken on the trail in 4th water. Dont know how to post pics. Both of the big tracks had smaller ones about around them. the ones in the fall were not as small as the ones from the summer.

>I have a picture of a
>track with a 3" 12
>gauge shell easily fitting inside
>it. Pic was taken on
>Teat mtn between sheep creek
>and diamond fork last month.
>Also one from this past
>4th of July taken on
>the trail in 4th water.
> Dont know how to
>post pics. Both of the
>big tracks had smaller ones
>about around them. the
>ones in the fall were
>not as small as the
>ones from the summer.

send them to me, I will post them up for you.

There are big coyotes around the state. No wolves in Utah, Just big YOTES ;-)

YOU'RE FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

I think we've learned that no one can tell the difference. According to a previous post there are way more wolves than imagined.

Let's think this through guys. All we have are coyotes, I always leave my coyotes out where I shot them, especially BIG COYOTES!!

The minute we have an official recognize there are wolves in this state, we i.e. the state, turn over the rights to manage our own game. Cause the wolves will be priority one, and all the herds will suffer. Just shoot them, and do not bring them home!

I wouldn't even mention the topic on the internet of what you see, just shoot the coyotes that are in Utah and leave it at that.

a few years ago my grandparents saw a wolf in the northeastern utah area (flaming gorge) at Elk park. just last year, my truck load of cousins claim to have seen one again in the same general area. this year on the south slope, hiking up a rivine with no other footprints except deer and elk, i came apon a few giant dog tracks. i know for a fact that they are up there now. but i find them to be beautiful animals! i hope they dont end up getting into farms and stuff!

"i know for a fact that they are up there now. but i find them to be beautiful animals! i hope they dont end up getting into farms and stuff!"

Are you really that big of an idiot?

hornkiller.jpg

Getting wolves in the entire northwest was the whole point. When the elk dwindle.................

I have a pic of a track I found up in the Morgan area. Looks like a large yote track, if ya know what I mean

8640wolf_track.jpg

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Had one cross the road up Cub River Canyon on the UT/Idaho boarder last October.
In 1998, I and my boss both found tracks up in the same area. I was working at Al's Sporting Goods in Logan behind the gun cabinet at the time. I had a good relationship with game wardens and gov. trappers, and asked them if they had seen any in the area. They said that they could be wolves passing through. But they thought they could have been escaped wolves/wild dogs, I can't remember which, from a ranch in the Montpelier area. It's been a while so I can't remember the exact details. But i told them that if they were wild dogs I intended to shoot on sight, as they were chasing an elk herd. They told me to be careful, but wouldn't say anything further. They have large ranges, and I expect Northern/Central Utah have a few roaming around. Hopefully you can keep them under control. I have first hand experience of what happens when wolves move in. It's not good...

We camp in Millcreek up on the north slope of the uintahs in the summer. One night the State trapper stopped in to see if we had seen on of his dogs. Nice dude, had seen him up there before but hadn't talked to him before. Shot the shizz, (even offered him a beer, but he was in a state truck so he declined). There had been a bear by the Ranger cabin that had been seen around, he confirmed that. Then we asked about the wolves running around that country. He smiled a big old smile and said "what wolves? there aren't any in Utah. If you think you see a wolf its a big coyote, have at it". He REALLY encouraged us to shoot all the big coyotes we saw, only to make sure they don't die on the roads. He also mentioned that there are alwasys wild dogs on the mtn. that should be shot too. Like I said, nice dude, I just keep hoping to see those big coyotes like he said!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom