Wolves Cave falls ID

IDoutdoors

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-11 AT 00:45AM (MST)[p]Just wondered if anyone has seen wolves in the area of cave falls road in Fremont county Idaho? I was thinking of trying to hunt wolves there and thought the area next to Yellowstone Park might be a good place to start. I'am I wasting my time or are there way better areas around Challis, Salmon ? I'am going to try an injured rabbit call? Any suggestions on where to start scouting and what calls to use. (Just some general info is all im looking for). Thanks in advance. Hope everyone has a fun hunt!
Thanks Brian

I know an excavating contractor who lives in the area....he says there are LOTS of wolves there.

I've seen them in enough different areas, I don't believe it should be difficult to be in the right area. I can't tell you much about how often they return to a given portion of their habitat but they seem to be everywhere and quite visible.

I was calling coyotes a few years ago and had a (collared) wolf come in...just as a coyote does. A small plane had been circling the entire area much of the morning....don't know if it was tracking that animal....but he did live the rest of THAT day.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I spent a couple of days hiking around there this summer, saw a black bear and some grizzly tracks, but no wolf sign.
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

Its more open in salmon for glassing. Im trying to decide on those 2 areas also (Island park) I think its going to be a tough hunt but hopefully lots of people get lucky.

If memory serves me right, 2 of the 5 wolves killed in Island Park on the 2009 hunt were killed near Cave Falls. You are very close to the Yellowstone border in that area.

Can't help you out for that location but a hootchie mamma and/or hot lips usually does the trick, set on calf locate and estrus cry. Good luck!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom