WOLF / WHITETAIL HUNT

YukonDall

Long Time Member
CAN ANYBODY RECOMMEND AN AREA (UNITS) THAT I MIGHT SEE A FEW WHITETAIL DEER WHILE ON MY WOLF HUNT. AT FIRST IT WAS GOING TO BE JUST A JANUARY WOLF HUNT, BUT I HAVE NEVER HUNTED A WHITETAIL BUCK......SOUNDED LIKE A GOOD PAIR TO HUNT AT THE SAME TIME. THE CENTRAL PART OF THE STATE WAS WHERE I WAS GOING TO START....BUT I AM OPEN TO IDEAS !!!! THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE & TIME...............YD.

THANK YOU FELLAS........I WILL START MY HOMEWORK VERY SOON, I AM GETTING A BIT EXCITED TO HUNT THE DOGS.......THANKS AGAIN......................YD.

Units 6, 7 & 9 in the Panhandle zone. Every now and then a bomber buck, and plenty of wolves.
Be prepared for getting around in the snow at higher elevations (which most of it is). Hunt sometime during the last two weeks of November for your best chance at a big buck.

If whitetail is the bigger priority you may look to Unit 1. Lots of big deer and plenty of dogs too.

I'm not from N Idaho, but we do hunt Whitey's every other year in Unit 11. Plenty of deer and yes there are wolves, saw 1 last time up in 2011, but for any NR coming here I would hesitate to say there are plenty of them around during Nov/Dec. There are indeed more than we want to have, but if you come for a week or even two and spent every minute of light searching for one the odd's of seeing one are still low. The later the better for wolf hunting as the more concentrated(winter range) you can get the prey the more likely you will be to see them.

I also bird hunt deer winter range in Unit 32, and saw ton's of track's up to 3 years ago, last two years have yielded little or none even in January.

I think the wolves we have are learning to stay farther away from places they can be easily seen or where man frequents. So I think hunting whitetails with a wolf tag in your pocket is a great plan, but if your focus is wolf, wait and come later in the winter where there are less people and the deer/elk are more concentrated.

That wolf in Unit 11 would not slow down or stop at all 2 years ago as he went through a clear cut, but did once he hit the timber. People who have hunted them for a long time in Canada/Alaska talk about how smart they are. The other 3 groups I saw had no problem stopping and staring at me, but those were all before hunting was approved.

BPKH......I THINK THATS GOOD ADVISE FOR SURE. KINDA WHAT I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE GAME BEING AT LOWER ELEVATIONS. BUT I HAVE NEVER HUNTED WHITETAILS EITHER.....SO I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT I DO APPRECIATE IT.............YD.

YUKON, SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE IN THE SAME BOAT I WAS IN 5 YEARS AGO, NEVER HUNTED WHITETAILS, PLAN ON DOING A LOT OF SITTING, DIDN'T THINK I WOULD GET USE TO IT BUT NOW I'M HOOKED. FAR AS THE WOLF IF YOU HIT THE RUT AND MIGRATION THEY WILL BE AROUND, DON'T BE AFRAID TO HOWL AND SQUEAL LIKE A FAWN IN DISTRESS. MY PARTNER LAST YEAR WAS SITTING IN HIS BLIND AND A NICE BUCK BLEW BY WIDE OPEN WITH A WOLF ON HIS ARSE COULDN'T GET A SHOT AT THE BUCK OR THE WOLF, HE GAVE OUT A SQUEAL AND THE WOLF CAME BACK...HE JUST PICKED THE WOLF UP AT THE TAXI LAST WEEK.RAS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom