Wolf track or Dog track?

R

riflescope

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-12 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-12 AT 05:51?PM (MST)

While up hiking this weekend in American Fork canyon we came across several tracks like these in different locations of the canyon. Some were over in the Mill Peak direction and this one was up Pine Hollow trail.

Having never had wolves in Utah until now (unfortunately), it's hard to tell. They're big tracks and the one over by Tibble was much bigger than this one but no camera at the time.

We'd like to get some opinions on what these tracks are. An iphone is next to the track to give you an idea of how big it is.

Wolf or dog? I mean "hybrid wolf/dog"

http://youtu.be/bb8x_nfGkD0

How far away were they from the Nike tracks?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Here's a wolf track and it appears to be much bigger than the track in your photo.

57512010_trip_010.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-12 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the answers so far. Have no idea that's why we posted it on here. If you look at other photos of wolf tracks they're very close to this one.

It is a bit small and that's what we thought but could it be an adolescent wolf?

I think they are a bit on the small side for a wolf. Here's the dimensions of an iPhone for scale.

Height: 4.5 inches
Width: 2.31 inches

I guess it could be a younger animal, but I really don't think it's big enough to be an adult wolf from the track I posted and others I've seen up in Canada that were even bigger.

I'm not gonna rule anything out, but young wolves are 1 year old at this point and pretty much close to full grown. Wolves are like other dogs in that they grow into their feet. Not trying to be a jerk and not saying I'm right, but my vote is for dog tracks.

Too small IMO for wolf,

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I would say dog track, but I'm no expert. I have only seen one set of wolf tracks in my life, but when I saw them, there was NO doubt! They are absolutely huge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom