Wolf down!!

smitty

Very Active Member
Well, I finally got one. Sorry for the cell phone pics, battery on the good camera was frozen or dead.

Anyhow, I know some of you guys will want the story so here it is.

I had been making plans to wolf hunting for quite some time, seems like everything kept getting in the way. Work, friends with other tags, work again, etc....Anyhow, finally, I'm on road, alone none the less, but on the road. Get into town, check into the motel and grab my gear and go hunting. No sign the first night, only hunted for about 2 hours.

Headed out the next morning with a fresh 8 inches of snow on the ground. Bitter cold, cruising around on the 4 wheeler trying to find some tracks. Come across 3 wolf tracks headed down a snowed in quad trail. Snow was too deep, so I ditched the wheeler and headed after them. The country was wide open, big canyons, very few trees, just sagebrush and rocky points. The wind buried the tracks, so I made a big loop up to a main ridge hoping to get above them and cut them off, or get a look at them. Sure enough, I spot a big male walking over a saddle about 500 yards out, I scrambled up to a pile of rocks and get set up, range a couple points they are likely to come out on and hit the foxpro. No more than 15 seconds went by and I got a wolf coming over the ridge. Holy #####!!! there's a wolf!!! What a surreal sight. Anyhow, I range her at 372, I've got a dead rest, and I know my 300 win will make the shot.

She sits down on her haunches, I put my 350 yard crosshair on her throat and touch it off. Next thing I hear is the unmistakable sound of bullet hitting flesh, look in the scope and shes tipping over stiff legged, dead on impact. My mind is going crazy, "I just killed a freaking wolf!", I sit up and that's when I see the big male take off around the ridge. Damnnit!!! Had I scanned over 50 yards I would have seen him and gotten a shot, maybe even doubled up?! Anyhow, I hike up check out the dead one, take a cell phone pic cause my digital camera is frozen dead, find the other tracks and then I spent the next 5 hours chasing that wolf to no avail. Little tip, don't try to chase wolves. You'll never catch up.

Well, that's the story. I have one cell phone pic but I don't know how to post it from my email. So if someone does I can email it to them. I brought her home and weighed her, came in right at 90 lbs. Got mange all down the one side, so I'm doing a plain skull mount and de-boning the tail for my boy. Can't wait to go after another one. Got one more tag to fill.

Hey RUM300, send me a PM with your email, I believe I've deleted my inbox and don't have yours anymore.

I was in unit 44 in Idaho, near Fairfield. Those folks up there are awfully glad to see any dead wolves.

Well here is one while we wait....

3847dan_rowson_s_wolf_kill_11-06-2011.jpg

Honest question - How do you know a male wolf from a female?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Damn that thing is big! Congrats on a great trophy!

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

This is the picture smitty sent me. All I have to say is thank you to him and everybody else that takes one. I think the state F&G should make the tag even cheaper next year. We need to make sure these things are kept in check now that we can.

1119011026.jpg

Hey that wolf made a pretty good snow angel. Congrats and please kill some more.

way to go. you should feel like a hero. cant wait till wyoming opens up or if it ever does.....

Bummer that the other side is mangy! That wolf sure has a great looking pelt on the side that's showing. Congratulations and thanks! Now you need to drop the hammer on the big male.

I've already got plans to head back up. Gonna watch the weather and try to time a trip with a storm.

Someone asked about telling the difference between males and females. It's pretty easy, look at the big male the guy is holding and then look at my little female. I'm not a wolf expert, but seeing them on the paw was pretty easy to tell.

I encourage any of you that have a tag, or have thought about going after wolves, it can be done. Hunt 'em like coyotes, track 'em, whatever. You ain't gonna kill one sitting at home. When you do have some come into a call, shoot one and look for another, I should have had a double, but I got too excited and the big male saw me and took off. That's ok, I'm going back after him.

Good luck. Let's get some more.

Sorry I am out of the loop but very interested how do u get the tag just buy it or draw it? Thanks in advance!!!

You just buy one. I believe out of stater is $35 not sure for resident. I think next year any state that has a wolf season they just give residents the tag with the purchase of big game tag and add$ 5 to$ 10 dollars to every nonresident that way anyone that sees one can pull the trigger.

Smitty, good for you. They are an awesome animal to walk up to when down. I was lucky and took two very big males a few years ago in the Yukon and they are awesome. Much bigger than I expected. A lot longer in the chest. Make a coyote look like a pup.

Buy some lottery tickets; getting a wolf is very lucky.

I was told by a very reputable outfitter that I hunted with that one in ten hunters will see a wolf, only one of the ten that see a wolf get a shot and only one of the ten that see one actually get one. They are a rare trophy indeed.

Congrats.

All I can say is Wow, that male is an absolute giant. Good job on getting that female in your crosshairs....I'll bet that was a huge rush.

TRH

Good work, I'd buy anyone who kills a wolf a drink. tag or no tag I don't care.

3308my_pics_021.jpg

wolve's don't just eat the elk and moose,they eat beef too.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

If mange hits wolves like it has hit coyotes here in Nebraska you can thank the lord. I hate to see the lack of coyotes, but wolves would be a different story.
"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom