Winter

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I can't imagine the past few weeks has done much for the rebound of our deer herds I was so optimistic about last season. Too bad it was looking good. The melt this week will really hurt if it all crusts over and freezes hard again, wouldn't you think?

Yep, i agree. Lets hope it stays above freezing. I know where there are about 400+ deer. Wonder if fish and game would let me feed them

As a part of the winter feeding advisory committee I can tell you no you can't feed them on public land. On private land you have right to do so. Ron

Entering the critical period now. From what I've observed, the deer in my area seem to have handled those frigid temps pretty well. Thankfully not a ton of snow to compound the cold. Hopefull for a mild late winter (as a fresh string of storms moves in all week). hope the weather guy is full of $hit.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

All of the winter ranges around here, and was over to Challis the other day looked pretty low on snow. Deer should be fine thats why we keep our deer numbers so low isn't it, so when we get tougher winters all the deer will survive, at least thats what I was told at the last Fish & Game meeting I was at.

It was a few years ago in Dec when we had like 2 weeks when it was about 5deg lows. That winter 95% of the Weiser unit fawns died. Can't imagine this winter is some how easier on them. Any explanations how it would, I want some hope....

If I remember that year correctly, think we had a ton of snow and a ton of LATE snow. My take has always been that deer can handle deep snow, or they can handle extreme cold. The combination of the two puts them in real bad shape. the later in the winter those conditions occur, the worse off the deer will be. This is a generalization of course and exceptions/variables are always a possibility.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Let's hope these 40 deg mid-day temps are really helping with their metabolism. We'll see come spring one way or another.

Here in SE the weather was pretty nice for the majority of December. The animals I've seen have looked robust and appear to be handling the winter well...so far.

Perhaps you should stop shooting 2-year-old bucks if you would like to see the herds improve??? Yeah, I know. That is a radical idea..

>Perhaps you should stop shooting 2-year-old
>bucks if you would like
>to see the herds improve???
>Yeah, I know. That is
>a radical idea..

Do you have anything of value to add? Or do you just like going around and stirring the pot?

Juniper is right...Sad part is some areas in Idaho finding 2 1/2 year old buck is tough enough. Like I have said before, if a private party ran the mule deer herd in the ground like the IDFG has they would be thrown in JAIL!! Now the younger generation has only the stories of the old days, they will never even know the potential. And IDFG is running things status quo or in the ground STILL!!!!

That is why I have started to hunt other states.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom