Winter is here

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
It's sad but at this point in my life when we start to get snow dumping all I do is worry about the deer. Hope this doesn't keep up tooo long, especially given the forecasted temps.

Good news it should help concentrate the wolves and show their tracks in the fresh snow.

No Worries.

Unless it's many days of bitter cold and many, many inches of snow the deer will fare just fine.
Not worth stressing over.

Smoke a wolf if you can...

Been watching several wintering herds of deer the past two weeks and I will tell you what... With the weather we got last night, these deer were acting very strange... Running all over for no reason, then they'd stop for 5-10 mins and do it again, and again and again... I haven't ever seen deer do this and it wasn't from human pressure as I was about a mile away watching in my spotting scope. Gonna be a rough winter if the past few days are any indication.

Many more deer down low it seems compared to last year at this time.

The deer will be fine unless this continues on into March. The fawns will deplete their fat reserves if they have to keep fighting crusting snow. I know one thing that would help our deer out is if the IDF&G would quit killing does. I am in SE Idaho and the IDF&G continues to shoot does every year but they continue to blame "Winter Kill". Winter does play a big role in deer survival, but if there are very few deer heading into a hunting season to begin with we shouldn't keep hammering does. (Soapbox)

Here is S.E Idaho the dear were down MUCH sooner last year Elk to than this year due to the early snows we had.They were in places that they rarely are and we had far more road kill at this time last year .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom